• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter and grandson lives with parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jojack

What is the name of your state? Texas My daughter and her son live with me. She has never been married. The father's name is on the son's birth certificate. He does visit and keeps him, but he does not pay child support or pay for daycare. Either my daughter or I pay for daycare--the father helped only a little with this at the beginning. He sometimes pays for doctor's visits. My daughter and I pay for most of the medicine. What rights do I have as a grandparent since my daughter and her son live with me? The father wants him after he gets off work until 10 pm. When does my daughter get him--I realize they should have a legal aggreement but for some reason my daughter will not take him to court. Help!:confused:What is the name of your state?Texas

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Texas My daughter and her son live with me. She has never been married. The father's name is on the son's birth certificate. He does visit and keeps him, but he does not pay child support or pay for daycare. Either my daughter or I pay for daycare--the father helped only a little with this at the beginning. He sometimes pays for doctor's visits. My daughter and I pay for most of the medicine. What rights do I have as a grandparent since my daughter and her son live with me? The father wants him after he gets off work until 10 pm. When does my daughter get him--I realize they should have a legal aggreement but for some reason my daughter will not take him to court. Help!:confused:What is the name of your state?Texas
You have no rights to the child, and you will not get them in court.

ceara19

Dad doesn't OWE any support until a court orders him to pay AFTER her is declared the LEGAL father (being on the BC means NOTHING). Mom is not obligated to allow him any contact with the child until the court orders her to do so. YOU have no say in the matter and based on the information given, would have absolutely no chance at all of being given ANY type of legal rights to the child by a court.

C

carriesguy

this is your daughter's kid not yours

What rights do I have as a grandparent since my daughter and her son live with me?
none. this is not YOUR child. what makes you think you have any rights to your daughter's child? you are the grandparent, NOT the parent.

nextwife

Choosing to have daughter live with you does NOT create an entitlement for custody.

The child has two parents. THey can either work out custody through the courts or themselves, same with child support. Without a court order there is no legal requirement to pay CS or to provide dad visitation. However, it is in the child' s best interest for mom to encourage an involved relationship of child and father.

If you don't like forking out to cover the costs of housing and feeding daughter and her son- you are free to charge mom room and board.

Many of us moms pay our OWN housing and care costs for ourselves and our children- we don't expect our mommy's to be responsible to support us adults, nor our children. If we choose to become parents- that is OUR, not our parent's, responsibility.

Last edited:

sgmarinemom

Tell you daughter how you feel about paying the father's part on her child. Tell her to either start footing the bill herself, or get money from him. I understand you're wanting to help your daughter and grandchild, but there is a limit as to what us grandparents HAVE to do. Your situation is far better than mine at the moment (pertaining to grandchildren).
Check this website for grandparents access and visitation. Texas family code has been updated recently. Hope this helps you.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/FA/content/htm/fa.005.00.000153.00.htm#153.432.00

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">