• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter won't let me see my Grandson.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilgem819

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, NY

I have taken my daughter to court to fight for my rights for visitation. My daughter who has a bipolar condition and didn't take her meds had a relapse and was abusing prescription meds and alcohol. She even attempted to take her life. I refused to have her released into my custody from the hospital because I felt she needed the medical help and treatment for her psychological problems. She is angry with me and has promised that I will never see my grandson. My next court date isn't until December 2nd. Does anyone know what my chances are in getting some type of visitation? I don't have a lawyer and feel helpless. I miss my grandson alot and won't be able to see him for a long time. This is not the first time she has abused drugs or ended up in the hospital for psychiatric help. There is no talking to her and she is being spiteful and vindictive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

What state is U.S. exactly?

However, you should probably try and repair the relationship between you and your daughter instead of suing her. That would help a lot in you seeing your grandchild until the court makes a decision. I guarantee you that if the court does not find in your favor, you'll probably NEVER see your grandchild. So fix the relationship.

Hot Topic

The OP posted that she was in New York.

How old is your grandson?

The age could factor in because it could be argued that there wouldn't be any psychological harm done to him by not seeing you.

You should have hired a lawyer.

I agree that you should try and re-establish your relationship with your daughter. You seem to think that it's going to be a long time before you see your grandson again even though the court hasn't ruled in your favor. With the daughter feeling the way she does now, it's a slam dunk that if you lose, you'll never see him. Find a way to communicate. Talk to all the experts and agencies you need to.

CourtClerk

The OP posted that she was in New York.
The OP edited her post (significantly) 40 mintues after I posted (which is why I should always quote). She made no mention of bipolar disorder, no mention of attempted suicide, no mention of the state in question, in fact, this is a souped up version of the original post because it looks like the OP upped the ante on how bad daughter is.

janM

Where is the child's father? If mom is so bad, he should try to get custody (if he has proof).

Hot Topic

Gotcha, CourtClerk. Since I didn't see an indication that the post had been edited, I didn't realize that she had done some "doctoring."

It's interesting how some posters will lay out a certain scenario, then embellish it after certain questions or comments are posted.

Lilgem819

Daughter won't let me see Grandson

It's amazing how quickly people judge you without even knowing you. By adding in more detail to my ad I automatically become a liar. Just for the record, I edited my post because I didn't put enough information when I first did it. I don't need to lie or embellish the truth. I have nothing to gain in trying to harm my own daughter. She is bipolar and has suffered with mental issues for a while now. I have hospital discharge papers and rehab papers to prove that she did indeed try to committ suicide and was abusing alcohol and prescription meds. The father did go to court and they both agreed on shared custody. He still wants to get back together with her and doesn't want to take the baby from her. The father was allowing me visitation and said that whatever the court decides is fine with him. He doesn't want to get involved in the issue my daughter has with me. My grandson will be 2years old in December. All I want is to have visitation rights. My daughter is angry with me for not taking her out of the hospital and that is not fair. I was only doing what I thought was best for her at the time. This is her second time relapsing. I fear for her and for my grandson. I just want to know what my chances are for getting some type of visitation. She is my daughter and I know her better than anyone. I don't want to drag her in mud and make her lose custody I only want her to fix her life up and stop using the baby as way to hurt me. He shouldn't be a pawn in her game. It's important for a child to have as many people in life who love him be in his life and love him. Is anyone else going through the same thing?

rlrulfo

Re: your daughter won't let you see your grandson

Yes, I am also going through a similar situation. I am not able to see my 3 year old grandson. The only difference is that my son is incarcerated and the babies mom won't let me see my grandson. I was able to see my grandson prior to my sons incarceration but now she won't let me see him at all and it's not because my son is incarcerated, it's because she was angry with my son and told him that he would never see his son again and now she won't let me see him either.

She uses the baby as a tool to get the things she wants. She is also bipolar and has attempted suicide. I know people will say that grandparents have rights but as sad as it may sound we really don't. The parents of the child have the say in the matter. And the courts are more concerned about parents and child and not grandparents and child.

You can take her to court but you might not win and in doing this you will have made the situation worse for yourself. I too am unsure if I should trying to get visitation rights through the courts because I know the babies mom will take it very personal and never let me see my grandson as she has already made it clear to me that I can see him when he turns 18.

As hard as this might be, your best bet might be to repair your relationship with your daughter. This is what I'm going to do with my grandson's mommy. My last resort will be to take her to court. What else is there to lose. I've already lost the most important thing in my life.

Don't give up. Get advise from a lawyer and see what they tell you. I truly understand the pain you are feeling. Hang in there. I pray that everything works itself out in the end.

P.S. there should be legal rights for Grandparents. Especially if the child is in a bad family environment.

And yes, that person shouldn't have judged you. Their not walking in your shoes.

Good luck my friend**************

Rushia

Yes, I am also going through a similar situation. I am not able to see my 3 year old grandson. The only difference is that my son is incarcerated and the babies mom won't let me see my grandson. I was able to see my grandson prior to my sons incarceration but now she won't let me see him at all and it's not because my son is incarcerated, it's because she was angry with my son and told him that he would never see his son again and now she won't let me see him either.

She uses the baby as a tool to get the things she wants. She is also bipolar and has attempted suicide. I know people will say that grandparents have rights but as sad as it may sound we really don't. The parents of the child have the say in the matter. And the courts are more concerned about parents and child and not grandparents and child.

You can take her to court but you might not win and in doing this you will have made the situation worse for yourself. I too am unsure if I should trying to get visitation rights through the courts because I know the babies mom will take it very personal and never let me see my grandson as she has already made it clear to me that I can see him when he turns 18.

As hard as this might be, your best bet might be to repair your relationship with your daughter. This is what I'm going to do with my grandson's mommy. My last resort will be to take her to court. What else is there to lose. I've already lost the most important thing in my life.

Don't give up. Get advise from a lawyer and see what they tell you. I truly understand the pain you are feeling. Hang in there. I pray that everything works itself out in the end.

P.S. there should be legal rights for Grandparents. Especially if the child is in a bad family environment.

And yes, that person shouldn't have judged you. Their not walking in your shoes.

Good luck my friend**************
I'm sorry, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Some parents have very good reason for not wanting the gp's around. My case, it was simply that gp's didn't believe I gave them enough time so they sued. Parents have a CONSTITUTIONAL right to raise their children as they see fit. Many GP's believe that they should be able to determine that their children should raise the children as they believe. The courts SHOULD be upholding the USSC decision instead of attempting to backdoor things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">