• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Parents. Grandparents Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kel7ls

What is the name of your state? Texas

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE WRITING OUR WILL AND WANT TO GRANT HIS SISTER AND BROTHER IN LAW TO HVE FULL CUSTODY OF OUR CHILD. HOWEVER WE MANT TO MAKE SURE THAT MY SIDE (MAINLY THE GRANDPARENT) HAVE TIME WITH HER AS WELL. THERE HAS BEEN FRICTION IN THE PAST BEWEEN THE TWO FAMILYS SO WE DONT WANT OUR CHILD TO NOT SEE MY SIDE OF THE FAMILY JUST IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS. I HOPE THIS ALL MAKES SENSE.

ALSO IF SHE FEELS LIKE SHE ISNT GETTING ENOUGH TIME OR NOT GETTING TO SEE HER AT ALL CAN SHE TAKE THEM TO COURT? AND BE GRANTED 'VISITATION'

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

VeronicaGia

kel7ls said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE WRITING OUR WILL AND WANT TO GRANT HIS SISTER AND BROTHER IN LAW TO HVE FULL CUSTODY OF OUR CHILD. HOWEVER WE MANT TO MAKE SURE THAT MY SIDE (MAINLY THE GRANDPARENT) HAVE TIME WITH HER AS WELL. THERE HAS BEEN FRICTION IN THE PAST BEWEEN THE TWO FAMILYS SO WE DONT WANT OUR CHILD TO NOT SEE MY SIDE OF THE FAMILY JUST IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS. I HOPE THIS ALL MAKES SENSE.

ALSO IF SHE FEELS LIKE SHE ISNT GETTING ENOUGH TIME OR NOT GETTING TO SEE HER AT ALL CAN SHE TAKE THEM TO COURT? AND BE GRANTED 'VISITATION'

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
Children are not property and cannot be "willed" away to anyone. While your wishes may be taken into consideration by a judge, the judge will ultimately decide who your child will live with.

LdiJ

However, yes, grandparents in TX have standing to sue for visitation if the parents of the child are deceased.

kel7ls

My understanding is 'god parents' take over if something were to happened to my husband and I. This is the first that I have heard that they can't be 'willed' to anyone

BelizeBreeze

kel7ls said:
My understanding is 'god parents' take over if something were to happened to my husband and I.
And from where do you 'understand' this? I know it's not in any statute I've ever seen.

MandyD

kel7ls said:
My understanding is 'god parents' take over if something were to happened to my husband and I. This is the first that I have heard that they can't be 'willed' to anyone
Godparents are a religious distinction, not a legal one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">