• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do grandmothers have a right to phone conversations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelederwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, My grandson is in AZ with his mom, She has joint custody with my son who is a Marine and currently stationed in California. Due to the location/travel and school schedule my son does not get to see him regularly even though the Custody is Joint. Since my grandson's birth I spent at least 3 months a year with him total. Now my X-daughter in Law wants me to only have contact with my Grandson when my son has him. I would like to speak to him on Holidays or preferably every week or two. When I do speak with him (my son requests that she have him call me - he is 5y/o) he is just sitting down to eat or at a party or somewhere very distracting. I spoke to him last night for about 1 minute before I heard her scream at him to hang up the phone. I asked him if that was his mom screaming for him to hang up and he replied meekly that it was. I will see him when My son has him for the summer - but I would like to maintain the relationship that I have had with him. I would like to speak to him for a few minutes and have him not feel like he is doing something wrong by speaking to me. Do I have a right to speak with him? I have not been calling or bothering my X-daughter in law - though she will not speak with me. I have helped her a great deal financially up to now and she is very ungrateful. It is not really important that she likes me - but I love my Grandson and want to communicate with him and let him know how much I love him.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, My grandson is in AZ with his mom, She has joint custody with my son who is a Marine and currently stationed in California. Due to the location/travel and school schedule my son does not get to see him regularly even though the Custody is Joint. Since my grandson's birth I spent at least 3 months a year with him total. Now my X-daughter in Law wants me to only have contact with my Grandson when my son has him. I would like to speak to him on Holidays or preferably every week or two. When I do speak with him (my son requests that she have him call me - he is 5y/o) he is just sitting down to eat or at a party or somewhere very distracting. I spoke to him last night for about 1 minute before I heard her scream at him to hang up the phone. I asked him if that was his mom screaming for him to hang up and he replied meekly that it was. I will see him when My son has him for the summer - but I would like to maintain the relationship that I have had with him. I would like to speak to him for a few minutes and have him not feel like he is doing something wrong by speaking to me. Do I have a right to speak with him? I have not been calling or bothering my X-daughter in law - though she will not speak with me. I have helped her a great deal financially up to now and she is very ungrateful. It is not really important that she likes me - but I love my Grandson and want to communicate with him and let him know how much I love him.

I understand that you love your grandson but mom is correct. She does not have to allow you any time with the boy. You can see and speak to the boy when he is with your son, if that is what your son wants.

If you want any more time or access, I suggest you play nice with mom.

mistoffolees

I understand that you love your grandson but mom is correct. She does not have to allow you any time with the boy. You can see and speak to the boy when he is with your son, if that is what your son wants.

If you want any more time or access, I suggest you play nice with mom.
In addition, there are ways to continue to maintain contact that don't require Mom to drop what she's doing (most parents with small kids are busy all the time). Send him a card or a note once in a while.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">