• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any level of grandparent rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lala2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have been raising my grandson since birth he is now 3 years old. Father in and out of prison and has never supported him nor raised him. My daughter lived with me but was absent as a Mother nor did she help in any which way. After three years, Father gets out of prison and now they decide to move out and take him from me. Why don't we have laws for Grandparents? I don't see how there is any good in ripping him away from all he knows and his home, stability and feeling safe. I am in such torment and depression from all of this I can't imagine what my grandson is thinking and feeling.... What can I do if anything????What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I have been raising my grandson since birth he is now 3 years old. Father in and out of prison and has never supported him nor raised him. My daughter lived with me but was absent as a Mother nor did she help in any which way. After three years, Father gets out of prison and now they decide to move out and take him from me. Why don't we have laws for Grandparents? I don't see how there is any good in ripping him away from all he knows and his home, stability and feeling safe. I am in such torment and depression from all of this I can't imagine what my grandson is thinking and feeling.... What can I do if anything????What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You'll basically have to convince the court that seeing your grandson is in HIS best interest.

Be prepared, if Mom HAS been living with you, for her to argue that she was the one taking care of him.

And honestly - if you lose the visitation case (you're not getting custody unless both parents are unfit and the court deems you an appropriate placement), be prepared to never see him again. Suing your own child is a very, very hostile act.

So - have you actually talked to Mom about visiting with your grandson?

Hot Topic

It's likely that you're far more upset about the situation than the child is. He simply isn't old enough to analyse what's happening or what might happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">