• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Daughters Boyfriend have the right to always be in my house because his children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jd98930

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, I would like to know if my daughters boyfriend, father of her children who lives next door believes he has the right to be at my house from early morning till late night because his children live in my home. -When I ask him to leave he tells me no because he has the right to be here because his children live here. He doesn't always work and I don't feel he has ever support his children or my daughter. She has lived with me since the 7 year old was born. He always threatens to take the girls from my daughter, she does not work I do support her, but in return she does help me. If he happens to do something when he gets mad he then throws it up in my face that he did whatever it was. Thank you

justalayman

Does your daughter allow the guy to be there? Is she there with him?

If she is not there, tell him to leave and if he refuses, call the police to have him removed.

Isis1

Unless that man is a tenant, kick him out. He has no right to be there. If your daughter chooses not to compromise with you, then give her notice persuant to your state's tenant laws. Let him walk into family court like a dee dee dee claiming he has rights to your home where he is not a tenant! Dare him totry for custody based on that stupidity!

mistoffolees

Does your daughter allow the guy to be there? Is she there with him?

If she is not there, tell him to leave and if he refuses, call the police to have him removed.
Unless that man is a tenant, kick him out. He has no right to be there. If your daughter chooses not to compromise with you, then give her notice persuant to your state's tenant laws. Let him walk into family court like a dee dee dee claiming he has rights to your home where he is not a tenant! Dare him totry for custody based on that stupidity!
Those are both perfectly reasonable views. HOWEVER, as I read it, Mom (OP's daughter) has custody even though she's living with OP. If Mom wants Dad to be in her life, then she's going to have Dad in her life - even if it means cutting grandma (OP) out of the picture. So grandma may lose her relationship with both her daughter and her grandkids by drawing a line in the sand.

I would start with the non-legal option. Have a talk with Daughter. Explain to her that you worked your whole life to have a place of your own and have some control over your life. While you're happy to have daughter and grandkids there, having bf there all the time is just too much and you'd like to discuss limits. I would also encourage daughter to see child support from Dad. Again, you can argue that while you're happy to support them, it could potentially damage your ability to take care of yourself in your elder years.

You might even suggest using a neutral party to help mediate a discussion on limits. Perhaps a minister or counselor.

justalayman

since this guy has already shown himself to be a jerk, I wouldn't waste my time with nice chats. Time for action.

of course, if mom is just pissed off and that is what I read in her post, then a gentler approach would be a good idea.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If I were Dad (and was determined to be so, legally), and Mom wasn't there, I'd just take the kids over to my house and dare Grammy to do something about it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, I would like to know if my daughters boyfriend, father of her children who lives next door believes he has the right to be at my house from early morning till late night because his children live in my home. -When I ask him to leave he tells me no because he has the right to be here because his children live here. He doesn't always work and I don't feel he has ever support his children or my daughter. She has lived with me since the 7 year old was born. He always threatens to take the girls from my daughter, she does not work I do support her, but in return she does help me. If he happens to do something when he gets mad he then throws it up in my face that he did whatever it was. Thank you
And maybe it's time for your precious princess to get a job so she can support herself and her brood.

CourtClerk

Well here's a thought:

If your daughter can't respect the fact that you don't want certain people in YOUR house, then put HER out.

Easy enough to me.

Proserpina

And maybe it's time for your precious princess to get a job so she can support herself and her brood.

No kidding!

Princess is allowed to not work but....Dad is a demon for not working?

It's not like she has a newborn to take care of....(and even then..well...you know).

LdiJ

He doesn't have the right to be there because his children live there. That is completely untrue.

However, much depends on your daughter and how she feels about the whole thing.

CourtClerk

However, much depends on your daughter and how she feels about the whole thing.
How SHE feels? She can have a feeling when she can support herself under her own roof. Until then, her feelings mean NOTHING.

I don't get it with you "parents" allowing your kids to run your households, then you have all kinds of stuff going on right under your roof - and complaining about it later. Here's a thought, ADULTS stand on their own two feet, and you can't stand on your own two feet on someone else's floor.

Until then, if you need someone to contribute to the wiping of your behind, feeding of your face and raising of your kids, then you do what THEY want you to do in THEIR house. You get to do what you want to do in YOUR house.

Good God these "kids" would have never survived growing up in my family. There you RESPECT your parents and their homes.

nextwife

Maybe Mom needs to get her financial act in order, get her OWN place and, if she is not working, get a job and share the cost of supporting HER child. Seven years is way to long for an adult to sponge off their parents. Mom wanted a baby? Mom supports herself and cosupports her baby. This didn't JUST happen, you said it's been SEVEN years. Time for mom to give you some space.

Dad can then visit HIS kids at THEIR MOTHER'S home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">