• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does grandparent visitation come out of the mother or the fathers time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP read these current cases and use them:
In re Rubel, 2013-07772
Supreme Court of New York, Third Department
November 21, 2013

Hill v. Juhase, 105 A.D.3d 1278, 963 N.Y.S.2d 765
April 25, 2013
105 A.D.3d 1278
963 N.Y.S.2d 765
This part:
The mother argues that Family Court erred in finding that petitioner had standing and awarding her visitation. We agree. Where, as here, the parents of children are alive, Domestic Relations Law § 72 gives grandparents the right to seek visitation with their grandchildren where, as a threshold matter, they can establish circumstances in which " equity would see fit to intervene," i.e., that equitable circumstances exist (Domestic Relations Law § 72[1]; see Matter of Emanuel S. v. Joseph E., 78 N.Y.2d 178, 181, 573 N.Y.S.2d 36, 577 N.E.2d 27 [1991]; Matter of Couse v. Couse, 72 A.D.3d 1231, 1232, 898 N.Y.S.2d 692 [2010] ). Grandparents " must establish a sufficient existing relationship with their grandchild, or in cases where that has been frustrated by the parents, a sufficient effort to establish one, so that the court perceives it as one deserving the court's intervention" ( Matter of Emanuel S. v. Joseph E., 78 N.Y.2d at 182, 573 N.Y.S.2d 36, 577 N.E.2d 27). Grandparents must allege and establish more than " love and affection" for their grandchildren ( id.; see Matter of Bassett v. McGraw, 55 A.D.3d 980, 981, 865 N.Y.S.2d 720 [2008] ). Only when a showing of equitable circumstances has been made will the court then determine whether visitation would be in the grandchildren's best interests ( see Matter of Emanuel S. v. Joseph E., 78 N.Y.2d at 181, 573 N.Y.S.2d 36, 577 N.E.2d 27; Matter of Couse v. Couse, 72 A.D.3d at 1231, 898 N.Y.S.2d 692). While Family Court is accorded deference in determining the propriety of visitation, the court made no express credibility determinations here, and its determination must have a sound basis in the record ( see Matter of Opalka v. Skinner, 81 A.D.3d 1005, 1008, 916 N.Y.S.2d 271 [2011]; Matter of Baker v. Blanchard, 74 A.D.3d 1427, 1428, 903 N.Y.S.2d 200 [2010] ).

Notably, " essential" components of the standing inquiry are " the nature and extent of the grandparent-grandchild relationship" and " the nature and basis of the parent['s] objection to visitation" ( Matter of Emanuel S. v. Joseph E. 78 N.Y.2d at 182, 573 N.Y.S.2d 36, 577 N.E.2d 27). Family Court made no such findings here, simply stating in its oral ruling that petitioner " does appear to have a relationship with the children," without describing its " nature" or " extent" ( id. ) and did not address the basis of the mother's objections. Upon our review of the testimony, we conclude that petitioner did not establish equitable circumstances that justify according her standing to force the mother to accept visitation outside parameters within which she is comfortable as a fit and responsible parent ( see Matter of Van Nostrand v. Van Nostrand, 85 A.D.3d 1352, 1353, 925 N.Y.S.2d 229 [2011], lv. denied 17 N.Y.3d 708, 2011 WL 4027479 [2011]; Matter of Fondanarosa v. Grimm, 58 A.D.3d 840, 841, 874 N.Y.S.2d 497 [2009] ). In so holding, we are reminded that " courts should not lightly intrude on the family relationship against a fit parent's wishes. The presumption that a fit parent's decisions are in the child's best interests is a strong one" ( Matter of E.S. v. P.D., 8 N.Y.3d 150, 157, 831 N.Y.S.2d 96, 863 N.E.2d 100 [2007]; see Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57, 120 S.Ct. 2054, 147 L.Ed.2d 49 [2000] ).
Also:
Petitioner, a day-care provider, testified that she lives in Maryland, has relatives including a sister in Oneonta, and travels to New York approximately every other month. Although her testimony was vague, it appears that she sporadically saw the children, born in 2008 and 2006, a few times per year for short visits in 2009, 2010 and 2011 on trips to New York, and one or two times when the mother or father drove to Maryland with the children and stayed overnight at petitioner's house on their way to Virginia. She has never baby-sat for them or visited alone with them, but sends or brings cards and gifts. She claimed that on her New York trips, she often did not see them or saw them for only an hour or so because they usually already had other plans, which the mother [105 A.D.3d 1281] was unwilling or unable to alter at the last minute, or the mother picked them up after a short visit with petitioner and the father. Petitioner does not get along with or communicate with the mother, and the reasons for this were not clear. Although requested by the mother, it appears that petitioner often gave little notice of visits, a few days or hours, and the record suggests that petitioner's visits to New York were focused on visits to Oneonta and were not primarily to see the children, although she did request to see them when here. Her testimony did not clarify why she did not pursue visitation with the children at her son's residence or during his parenting time.
The bolded refers to why she couldn't voluntarily seek to visit with her son. It doesn't mean that any court ordered time would have come from her son's time.
And the holding:
Thus, under these facts, notwithstanding her good intentions, petitioner did not meet her threshold burden of demonstrating standing, i.e., that equitable circumstances existed to warrant court intervention, and the petition should therefore be dismissed. Nonetheless, given the passage of considerable time in which some visitation has
reportedly been occurring, and during which petitioner may now have a more meaningful relationship with the children, the parties are encouraged to reach an agreement to continue that relationship and to agree upon ongoing visitation, provided the mother deems it beneficial to the children.

Would you like some others?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
More cases

The one thing I am finding is that most of these cases where grandparents have been granted time they have been granted ONE day a month -- the first Sunday for instance. In an every other weekend situation that is likely to fall on both parents' time. So both parents are docked time. It doesn't come strictly from dad's time just because it is dad's mother or mom's time if it is mom's mother.
Read the cases.

Laudadio v. Laudadio, 104 A.D.3d 1091, 962 N.Y.S.2d 485
March 28, 2013
104 A.D.3d 1091
962 N.Y.S.2d 485

Hilgenberg v. Hertel, 100 A.D.3d 1432, 954 N.Y.S.2d 793
Supreme Court of New York, Fourth Department
November 9, 2012
100 A.D.3d 1432
954 N.Y.S.2d 793

LdiJ

OP read these current cases and use them:
In re Rubel, 2013-07772
November 21, 2013

Hill v. Juhase, 105 A.D.3d 1278, 963 N.Y.S.2d 765
April 25, 2013
105 A.D.3d 1278
963 N.Y.S.2d 765
This part:

Also:

The bolded refers to why she couldn't voluntarily seek to visit with her son. It doesn't mean that any court ordered time would have come from her son's time.
And the holding:

Would you like some others?
What you have cited doesn't back up either of our positions.

Cite a case where a gpv order came out of the time of the parent who was not the gp's child, (when the child was alive and active in the grandchildren's lives) which was upheld on appeal, and then you would have something that addresses the issue. There may be a case out there somewhere, but of the literally thousands of cases I have read, they have all been about an objection to grandparent visitation being ordered at all (or, much less frequently, an objection by the gp because visitation wasn't ordered at all). I honestly don't think that you are going to find one. I cannot think of a single case where that was an issue.

I can think of a few pre-Troxel cases where attorneys attempted to carve visitation out of the other parent's time, but even then I cannot remember any where they actually succeeded.

The most notable was an FL case (which was a VERY long time ago since FL's gpv laws were declared unconstitutional prior to Troxel).

Mom and dad divorced. Paternal grandparents also divorced. Dad disappeared for 4 years. Good relationship between mom and paternal gps. Mom met a guy and got married. Paternal gps panicked. They found their son and dragged him back to FL and made him file for custody. They also filed individually (separate suits for grandma and grandpa) for visitation. Judge appointed a GAL. The gal found all parties suitable and recommended that mom retain sole custody, but that dad get 1 weekend a month and one day a week, that grandpa get 1 weekend a month and one day a week, and that grandma get one weekend a month and one day a week.

Do the math...what actual time did that leave mom? One weekend a month, Sunday evenings, and one day a week.

The judge found that to be absurd and threw out the gal's recommendation. He ordered that dad get standard visitation, and that dad was required to provide X amount of time to his parents, during that standard visitation.

Proserpina

<teeny tiny cough>

'Scuse me ladies?

If/when the child becomes a teen (for example), would that make the order modifiable?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What you have cited doesn't back up either of our positions.

Cite a case where a gpv order came out of the time of the parent who was not the gp's child, (when the child was alive and active in the grandchildren's lives) which was upheld on appeal, and then you would have something that addresses the issue. There may be a case out there somewhere, but of the literally thousands of cases I have read, they have all been about an objection to grandparent visitation being ordered at all (or, much less frequently, an objection by the gp because visitation wasn't ordered at all). I honestly don't think that you are going to find one. I cannot think of a single case where that was an issue.

I can think of a few pre-Troxel cases where attorneys attempted to carve visitation out of the other parent's time, but even then I cannot remember any where they actually succeeded.

The most notable was an FL case (which was a VERY long time ago since FL's gpv laws were declared unconstitutional prior to Troxel).

Mom and dad divorced. Paternal grandparents also divorced. Dad disappeared for 4 years. Good relationship between mom and paternal gps. Mom met a guy and got married. Paternal gps panicked. They found their son and dragged him back to FL and made him file for custody. They also filed individually (separate suits for grandma and grandpa) for visitation. Judge appointed a GAL. The gal found all parties suitable and recommended that mom retain sole custody, but that dad get 1 weekend a month and one day a week, that grandpa get 1 weekend a month and one day a week, and that grandma get one weekend a month and one day a week.

Do the math...what actual time did that leave mom? One weekend a month, Sunday evenings, and one day a week.

The judge found that to be absurd and threw out the gal's recommendation. He ordered that dad get standard visitation, and that dad was required to provide X amount of time to his parents, during that standard visitation.
You didn't read what I stated about the cases. Not at all. Good grief. I stated that the visitation that seemed to be ordered was where it was NOT based on whose time it was but rather one day a month -- the same day as in First Sunday or Last Saturday which would impact both parents in an EOW standard idea. And Florida has nothing to do with NY. Nowhere did I say that the case law was on point to that issue. NO WHERE. And Rushia's case is NOT binding precedent for anyone. It is how the judge ruled in HER case and is not at issue here. I posted cases with the hopes of helping the OP overall. But whatever.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
<teeny tiny cough>

'Scuse me ladies?

If/when the child becomes a teen (for example), would that make the order modifiable?
Could because a couple of cases referenced the age of the child and the wishes of the child. The cases spell out a number of things to help the OP. LD took it strictly as about her. Nope. Not at all. I went looking to see if caselaw existed. Found oodles though not on point and decided to be nice. Wrong idea I guess. But from what I am finding the court makes an order in all the cases for a SPECIFIC day which falls on both parents' time with different frequency. It is NOT based on taking from dad because dad's mom sued. That is the point. Which the caselaw actually seems to back up based on the orders that were upheld.

LdiJ

<teeny tiny cough>

'Scuse me ladies?

From my experience, yes.

I know of quite a few cases where orders ended up getting vacated because the children were teenagers and adamantly did not want the scheduled visitation any longer. I also know of quite a few grandparents who were smart enough not to make the parents take them to court at that point...realizing that their future relationship with their grandchildren as adults was at risk.

I remember a very devastated set of grandparents who had made big plans for their grandson's 18th birthday, and when they asked him what he wanted for his birthday, his response was "to never see you again". They said that they knew he wasn't happy about the scheduled visitation but they never dreamed that he would feel that way.

LdiJ

Could because a couple of cases referenced the age of the child and the wishes of the child. The cases spell out a number of things to help the OP. LD took it strictly as about her. Nope. Not at all. I went looking to see if caselaw existed. Found oodles though not on point and decided to be nice. Wrong idea I guess. But from what I am finding the court makes an order in all the cases for a SPECIFIC day which falls on both parents' time with different frequency. It is NOT based on taking from dad because dad's mom sued. That is the point. Which the caselaw actually seems to back up based on the orders that were upheld.
Huh? I didn't take it to be about "me" at all? Where did you get that? I thought that we were having a civil discussion.:confused:

BL

Your girlfriend perhaps shouldn't have agreed and let the grandparent try to prove the case.

Once a GPV is ordered, it's not easy to get it overturned and I would hate to think of OP getting pressured to "settle" during mediation.

OP should remember too that the grandparents have no established bond whatsoever with the baby. In most States, that is a requirement and would generally nix the issue there and then (exceptional circumstances notwithstanding). However, NY is - I believe - one of the most GPV-friendly states and there's just no guarantee.

OP needs to fight this tooth and nail. Because frankly if Grandma is threatening to sue over visitation with a four month old baby who already has visitation with the father, it is painfully clear (to me at least) that her interests lie not with the infant, but with her own selfishness.

And yeah, that's brutally selfish.
I agree ,my GF shouldn't have agreed.

I also missed the 4 months . I thought it said 4 years old.

Under the weather and mind playing tricks.

I too recommend NOT to agree to visitations ( she did however say she didn't mind ) .

There is no established bond.

As I stated she should fight this ,inform the court she is not denying visitations, and that grammy has no established bond and ask her petition be dismissed.

Pushy ,self centered , and possibly derogitory down the road .

One reason not to agree. It took 4 to 5 contempts to finally stop the visits ,and that was only because the child was in counceling and the court ordered visitation there, and the counceler would not allow them.

Last edited:

justalayman

mybe the mailman deserves a decent part of a day on his own with the child.

Or grandma could call OP and ask nicely if she could take kiddo to the park and then dinner one afternoon.
If the mailman is a BLOOD relation of the same level and he has an established relationship with the child, sure. Same thing goes for the garbage man, meter reader and paper boy.

The court will determine if enough of a relationship has developed between the child and grandparent and then will determine of visitation is in order.

Sure. Grandma could but given op's last post, I would suspect the answer would be no nearly if not actually all the time.

justalayman

Against the wishes of the parent?

Grandparents have no inherent rights anywhere, and while it's not a 100% guarantee, the grandparents who respect and abide by the parents rules tend not to be the ones in court (there are exceptions to this, naturally)

I'm one of the few (I believe) posters here who strongly believes in the concept of "it takes a village". I'd be devastated if I wasn't allowed to see our 3 but my wishes should never trump those of their parents.
Yes, possibly against the parents wishes but that would be a situation reserved for situation where the g parents had an established relationship and the parents became *******s.

And nobody said it was 100 percent anything.

In fact, all I said is g ma's time should not be taken out of dad's time simply because she is the father's mother.

Rushia

Since I see my name being tossed around here. My experience is that in 100% of the cases that I have dealt with or know about on a level where case law cannot be sited is that if a grandparent wins visitation then it comes out of their own child's time.

Proserpina

Yes, possibly against the parents wishes but that would be a situation reserved for situation where the g parents had an established relationship and the parents became *******s.

And nobody said it was 100 percent anything.

In fact, all I said is g ma's time should not be taken out of dad's time simply because she is the father's mother.

No, I understand what you're saying.

But even if the parents are being idiots about it, this should not mean that the grandparents should be able to trample over the rights of the parent/s.

What I've learned (here and elsewhere) is that the grandparent/grandchild bond and the grandparent/child bond usually become irretrievably broken once the grandparent is awarded visitation against the wishes of the parent/s. That can't be in the best interest of the child, surely?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">