• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Mother-in-Laws Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's why she wants visitation, but it is not a given at all that a court will award her that visitation. Parents are allowed to make decisions based on the best interest of their children, even if it means a change.
See my prior response to the OP.

Once the courts get involved, parents lose some of that decision-making. It's just a matter of fact.

jkgreen78

Does she have any legal grounds to take me to court?

If it goes to court, then no, you don't get to decide. The courts will.

I am not making ANY statement on the validity of your position. I am merely answering your questions.

CSO286

Does she have any legal grounds to take me to court?
Yes she does. If you review the previous replies, that is what you are beign told. She has "standing" to file for grandparent visitaition. This does not mean that she will automatically be award grandparent visitation.

The fact that you aren't denying her access (just access on her terms) bodes well for you. But if she hires an attorney, you're going to need one.
These cases can get awfully messy and sometimes come down to who runs out of resources first.

LdiJ

See my prior response to the OP.

Once the courts get involved, parents lose some of that decision-making. It's just a matter of fact.
They don't lose any decision making at all unless they lose the case.

jkgreen78

Thank you. We do have an attorney already as we just received an extension to the original PFA. Thank you so much.

Yes she does. If you review the previous replies, that is what you are beign told. She has "standing" to file for grandparent visitaition. This does not mean that she will automatically be award grandparent visitation.

The fact that you aren't denying her access (just access on her terms) bodes well for you. But if she hires an attorney, you're going to need one.
These cases can get awfully messy and sometimes come down to who runs out of resources first.

jkgreen78

Voluntarily Relinquish Parental Rights.

This may not be the appropriate place to ask this question, so I apologize in advance.

Per my OP which has my background information (PFA, etc.,). Would it be likely in my state to be successful if I forgive my ex-husband of child support in exchange for a voluntary termination of parental rights. Last year he wanted to voluntarily relinquish his parental rights - this was before I remarried. I hired an attorney as I was willing to relinquish him of this and felt it was in the best interest of the boys especially if I died before they were 18. My attorney told me it would be very unlikely a judge would allow this unless there was another person willing to "replace" him as the father financially and otherwise. Once I got married, we offered this to my ex-husband and he said "no way" to a step-parent adoption.

Now that I am married, and without a step-parent adoption, can he voluntarily terminate his parental rights in exchange for child support forgiveness?

Rushia

AND even if you manage to do that, it won't stop gramma from suing you for visitation. It actually makes her case for standing stronger.

jkgreen78

Thanks to both of you for responding. At the end of the day, I would much rather have my boys visiting Grandma unsupervised than visiting their bio dad unsupervised! Again, thank you.

AND even if you manage to do that, it won't stop gramma from suing you for visitation. It actually makes her case for standing stronger.

jkgreen78

I take huge offense to that and don't think it was called for. I thought relinquishing ones parental rights negates their obligation to child support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I take huge offense to that and don't think it was called for. I thought relinquishing ones parental rights negates their obligation to child support.
It removes the obligation for FUTURE support. Past support is debt that was already incurred. Basically, by asking him to forgive that debt in exchange for him relinquishing his rights, you are asking him to sell his child to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">