• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fighting without an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

Some grandparents have complete idiots for children, and it's not always their (the grandparents) fault. These are the parents who are quite willing to destroy the grandparent/grandchild relationship over any tiny little issue. These parents are more than happy to hurt their children for no other reason than to have the ability to say "neener neener you're a wiener" to their own parents.

But these aren't usually the grandparents we see in GPV suits.

The grands we do tend to see are those who make it painfully obvious why the parents have cut off access. They're the grandparents from Hell, basically, and they believe they can they should still have some control what their children do - and what's the best way to do that? Get a court to agree to give you access to your grandkids over the wishes of the parents. There are few ways more effective (at least legally speaking) to stick it to your own kids.

For the grandparents who actually need a legal way of protecting the children (such as those in singledad's post), there is - in every state - a remedy available to them.

But again though, these are not the grandparents we tend to see trying to force the issue.

I'm only being slightly snarky when I suggest the parents move to WA or FL....

single317dad

Yeah, if that were only true. I never dumped my kids anywhere. I do not nor did I ever need to sober up. I got sued cause I said no to a sleepover for 3 weekends in a row. Not that they weren't seeing them, they just we busy little kids and a sleepover wasn't possible. THEN grampa won visitation cause he had more money and a judge who before he was a judge made it clear that he was in favor of GPV.

And now my kids HAVE to go at certain times and are unable to join any extracurriculars cause they HAVE to go as the GP's just can't manage to have a normal relationship.

It put us in debt attempting to defend our rights. So now we still live in an apt cause our credit fall apart and we are still trying to pick up the pieces. The kids had to do without things they wanted and could have had cause we had to spend money on this.

SO tell me again how it's in their best interests?
You're misreading my comment. I never said all cases, or your case specifically, fell under that description. I simply contested your assertion that ALL GPV cases are unfair. I simply felt that statement was too broad. I'd say the same to someone who claimed all Ford Pintos exploded: many of them did, the model certainly sucked, but there are some on the road that have served their owners well.

Rushia

You're misreading my comment. I never said all cases, or your case specifically, fell under that description. I simply contested your assertion that ALL GPV cases are unfair. I simply felt that statement was too broad. I'd say the same to someone who claimed all Ford Pintos exploded: many of them did, the model certainly sucked, but there are some on the road that have served their owners well.
Actually what happens if those parents are simply trying to get their lives with their children back together and has asked the gp for a little space to do so and gp still decides that they know best and files suit?

So no, it's still not good and does not take the wishes of the parents into consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">