• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida grandparent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tren

What is the name of your state? Florida
We used to lived in Florida that is where our grandson lives and we are now in Mississippi, my son signed away all his rights and his ex-wife has remarried and her husband has adopted our grandson as his. (So we were told) When I called to ask for something (a christening outfit pasted down thru generations) she informed me that I have no right to call that when our son signed away his rights he also sign away ours, this was about a year ago, and I have just found her new number and tried again she said not to call any more. What are our rights to see our grandson, and if we do have them how do we go about it. Our son did not keep a copy of anything he signed. Please help!!!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Florida
We used to lived in Florida that is where our grandson lives and we are now in Mississippi, my son signed away all his rights and his ex-wife has remarried and her husband has adopted our grandson as his. (So we were told) When I called to ask for something (a christening outfit pasted down thru generations) she informed me that I have no right to call that when our son signed away his rights he also sign away ours, this was about a year ago, and I have just found her new number and tried again she said not to call any more. What are our rights to see our grandson, and if we do have them how do we go about it. Our son did not keep a copy of anything he signed. Please help!!!
You are not the child's grandparents anymore. You don't have legal standing to sue.

LdiJ

You don't have automatic rights to a grandchild, like you do with your child. The only "rights" you EVER had are the ones afforded you by the parents.
Not only are they no longer the grandparents, but in addition the Florida Supreme Court struck down the FL GPV statutes therefore no grandparents have standing to sue for visitation in FL....which is where the child lives.

If I were you, I would be sure to thank my son for signing away my opportunity to be a grandparent to this child. Did he do it to avoid paying child support, or because he did not want to fight his ex for custody/visitation? Whichever way you slice it, the conclusion is still the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">