• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GPV in NY - Intact Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Songwriter

There were no extraordinary circumstances noted in the petition. The petition only states that "it is in the child's best interests to have a relationship with grandparents."

BL

There were no extraordinary circumstances noted in the petition. The petition only states that "it is in the child's best interests to have a relationship with grandparents."
How old is the child ?

How much visitations has the grandmother had ?

Can she establish a bond , a meaningful relationship ?

Songwriter

First and Foremost. Standing cannot have been granted by virtue of a hearing being scheduled. At this first hearing they are going to try to force you to agree to an order, do NOT agree to anything. No matter how much the judge/referee yells threatens or intimidates you, do NOT agree to anything being put into an order.

2nd. Get a lawyer

3rd. Unless the stepfather legally adopted your husband, he has no right to sue you under NY statute for visitation. A GP must be biologically or legally (as in adoption, being step grandpa means NOTHING) This is why you need a lawyer. A lawyer may be able to get this dismissed on that basis alone. Then mom would have to refile on her own, or they may continue the case but without step grampa on the petition.

Further, feel free to pm me. I am a support group. LOL. I have talked to people all over the US, sometimes for nothing more than being a shoulder to cry on as I've gone through this myself.
Rushia,

I am unable to pm -- it says that your messages are full.

Songwriter

How old is the child ?

How much visitations has the grandmother had ?

Can she establish a bond , a meaningful relationship ?
She doesn't need to, b/c we aren't denying it. Heck, she was even in the delivery room the day the baby was born. But we aren't denying her access to the baby. I am hesitant to give out too many details online b/c I am not sure what I should or shouldn't be posting, and if me posting like this can backfire.

Edited to add - yes, we do have a court date scheduled.

Last edited:

BL

Yes, BL she can. But she doesn't need to, b/c we aren't denying it. Heck, she was even in the delivery room the day the baby was born. But we aren't denying her access to the baby. I am hesitant to give out too many details online b/c I am not sure what I should or shouldn't be posting, and if me posting like this can backfire.

Edited to add - yes, we do have a court date scheduled.
Just follow the advice given.

I'm sure Rushia will see your post and you can IM her.

Make sure it is known to the court about the stepdad .

The Judge should then remove him from the petition.

Ask for time to get an Attorney , if you do not bring one then , or ask to be appointed one if you think you qualify.

Ask for a law guardian to be appointed for the child.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Just follow the advice given.

I'm sure Rushia will see your post and you can IM her.

Make sure it is known to the court about the stepdad .

The Judge should then remove him from the petition.

Ask for time to get an Attorney , if you do not bring one then , or ask to be appointed one if you think you qualify.

Ask for a law guardian to be appointed for the child.
Rushia's mailbox is full. :cool:

Rushia

Sheesh, I haven't gotten a message in so long that I haven't even looked to see how full it was! Totally empty now! PM away!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">