• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Gramma responsible for Dr. bills just because I take the kids?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dray5151

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in OH and my son has custody of his 3 kids and they live with me for the past 4 years. I take care of the kids and take them to all Dr. appts. My son has signed an authorization for me to take them. Recently I began to receive bills with my name on them and the child's. I called and was told if I bring the kids to Dr. or hospital I am responsible for the bill. My son carries insurance from work and the Mom has Molina on the kids. She only has them every other weekend. Could I be responsible for the Dr. bills?

Thanks for your help!

OHRoadwarrior

Have you discussed this with your son? He should be fixing this misunderstanding, making sure the insurances are billed and making sure the balance is paid off. Am I missing something in your arrangement, where you have custody and are solely responsible for their care?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in OH and my son has custody of his 3 kids and they live with me for the past 4 years. I take care of the kids and take them to all Dr. appts. My son has signed an authorization for me to take them. Recently I began to receive bills with my name on them and the child's. I called and was told if I bring the kids to Dr. or hospital I am responsible for the bill. My son carries insurance from work and the Mom has Molina on the kids. She only has them every other weekend. Could I be responsible for the Dr. bills?

Thanks for your help!
No, you're not responsible for the doctor's bills. The problem may be that the doctor's office may think that you're responsible because you may have signed something when you brought the child in guaranteeing payment.

Your son should sent a letter to the doctor's office stating that he is solely responsible for the bills (or he and Mom are-whatever the divorce decree says) and that you are not responsible. Of course, if he pays the bills as he should, it should be a non-issue.

ecmst12

IF you signed papers at the office saying you would be responsible for the bills, then you ARE responsible...but hopefully dad will still pay them. In the future, if you have to fill out paperwork for a visit, put the parents' information on it instead of yours.

LdiJ

IF you signed papers at the office saying you would be responsible for the bills, then you ARE responsible...but hopefully dad will still pay them. In the future, if you have to fill out paperwork for a visit, put the parents' information on it instead of yours.
Particularly at hospitals its pretty easy to accidentally sign the form accepting financial responsibility...and hospitals don't back off from that if they are not getting paid.

CSO286

Particularly at hospitals its pretty easy to accidentally sign the form accepting financial responsibility...and hospitals don't back off from that if they are not getting paid.
Yep...because the "consent to treat" form also states that the signer agrees to accept financial responsibility for anything not covered by insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">