• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grand Parent advice Custody or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamaw2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ohio

My grandson is 20 months. His mother is a minor 17 years old. Would rather run with friends then raise her child.
My son the father. He is semi involved but not near enough and far from being a responsible father.
When he is broke he is here for his son. But when he has money he is ready to run with friends.
He spends time with him during the day basically pays his child support but also given the opportunity runs with his friends. He by no means wants the responsibility of custody. I have pleaded and begged him to try. He feels he is not in the position to do so...Basically both parents are selfish. I am aware I have enabled my son to not take care of his child. But If I did not get my grandson we would never see him and he would wind up with who knows. My son feels like he should not have to stick around when we are the ones that take him when she needs a sitter. It sounds terrible but he says he visits his son and spends more time with him then most dads. Which he does but I want him to be more responsible. I want him to step up and be sure his child is cared for.

My grandson has spent most of his time in our home for up to 5 days at a time and as soon as we take him home she sends him to either my sons step mothers or her mothers house.
On average she has him 2 days a week.
Mother has missed many doctors appointments for him. I have had to stay on her to get his shots and make the appointments myself.
Grandson has been ill in the past to where a breathing machine has been required many times.
Mother does not send his medicine when she drops him off else where. I constantly have to remind her to bring his medication when I have him.
Levels of medication indicates she does not treat him when she does have him.

Recently I picked my grandson up on Friday Sept.24th. He began to get ill with a severe chest cold on Sunday evening into Monday morning. By Tuesday it was obvious he was in need of a Doctors visit so I contacted the mother to come pick him up and take him to the doctor.

She finally arrives and first lied to me and said she had an appointment. At this time our County Fair is going on and an hour later I find out she has him out in the rain and chilled weather. No appointment to Doctor and she had not even set one up for the next day.

So it is now Wednesday and she needs a sitter again. She had already informed me that she had lost his breathing machine so I asked her to contact the Doctor to get a replacement. She did call but they cant replace it until after 5 years. Still no intent to take him to the doctor. In the meantime she asked me to keep him again. So I took the opportunity to take him to the doctors office. I informed her I was going to do so to try to get another machine or an alternative. She agreed and left on her merry way.

So I stop at my grandsons Doctor which was 1 mile away from where I picked him up. Went in explained the reluctance of the mother to bring him and informed them that the mother Knew I was stopping in to contact her for agreement to treat.

They did and he was seen immediately. They was able to give me a inhaler and some steroids to treat him. She then never contacted me to see how he was or what the doctor said nothing. Reminder this was a Wednesday now. She finally contacted me late Friday evening and texted "hows baby??" I replied terrible and doing what ever we could to keep him from being admitted into the hospital. I informed her we had found a breathing machine also. I never got another response from her at all.

So we continue to care for him Throughout the weekend and finally on Monday I told her she needed to take him for a follow up visit but of course she had no way to get him there. So again it was up to me to do so.

You all get the idea of what is going on here. This is not the first time it is just the most extreme and current.

Do I have a leg to stand on for Custody? Am I over reacting?
From the time my grandson was 2 months old he has stayed with us most of the time. When he was a baby this was the same situation. She rarely keeps him.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ohio

My grandson is 20 months. His mother is a minor 17 years old. Would rather run with friends then raise her child.
My son the father. He is semi involved but not near enough and far from being a responsible father.
When he is broke he is here for his son. But when he has money he is ready to run with friends.
He spends time with him during the day basically pays his child support but also given the opportunity runs with his friends. He by no means wants the responsibility of custody. I have pleaded and begged him to try. He feels he is not in the position to do so...Basically both parents are selfish. I am aware I have enabled my son to not take care of his child. But If I did not get my grandson we would never see him and he would wind up with who knows. My son feels like he should not have to stick around when we are the ones that take him when she needs a sitter. It sounds terrible but he says he visits his son and spends more time with him then most dads. Which he does but I want him to be more responsible. I want him to step up and be sure his child is cared for.

My grandson has spent most of his time in our home for up to 5 days at a time and as soon as we take him home she sends him to either my sons step mothers or her mothers house.
Mother has missed many doctors appointments for him. I have had to stay on her to get his shots and make the appointments myself.
Grandson has been ill in the past to where a breathing machine has been required many times.
Mother does not send his medicine when she drops him off else where. I constantly have to remind her to bring his medication when I have him.

Recently I picked my grandson up on Friday Sept.24th. He began to get ill with a severe chest cold on Sunday evening into Monday morning. By Tuesday it was obvious he was in need of a Doctors visit so I contacted the mother to come pick him up and take him to the doctor.

She finally arrives and first lied to me and said she had an appointment. At this time our County Fair is going on and an hour later I find out she has him out in the rain and chilled weather. No appointment to Doctor and she had not even set one up for the next day.

So it is now Wednesday and she needs a sitter again. She had already informed me that she had lost his breathing machine so I asked her to contact the Doctor to get a replacement. She did call but they cant replace it until after 5 years. Still no intent to take him to the doctor. In the meantime she asked me to keep him again. So I took the opportunity to take him to the doctors office. I informed her I was going to do so to try to get another machine or an alternative. She agreed and left on her merry way.

So I stop at my grandsons Doctor which was 1 mile away from where I picked him up. Went in explained the reluctance of the mother to bring him and informed them that the mother Knew I was stopping in to contact her for agreement to treat.

They did and he was seen immediately. They was able to give me a inhaler and some steroids to treat him. She then never contacted me to see how he was or what the doctor said nothing. Reminder this was a Wednesday now. She finally contacted me late Friday evening and texted "hows baby??" I replied terrible and doing what ever we could to keep him from being admitted into the hospital. I informed her we had found a breathing machine also. I never got another response from her at all.

So we continue to care for him Throughout the weekend and finally on Monday I told her she needed to take him for a follow up visit but of course she had no way to get him there. So again it was up to me to do so.

You all get the idea of what is going on here. This is not the first time it is just the most extreme and current.

From the time my grandson was 2 months old he has stayed with us most of the time. When he was a baby this was the same situation. She rarely keeps him.
So, you (and the other adults involved) are enabling both these young parents to skip out on their responsibilities. :cool:

mamaw2014

So, you (and the other adults involved) are enabling both these young parents to skip out on their responsibilities. :cool:
I have stated yes we have enabled them. I admit that. But when the child is left with just anyone what do you do?
Allow the mother to leave him at her mothers house that snorts pills? Or maybe leave the child with her wheel chair bound grandparents? Or maybe even leave him with a mentally unstable father whom has been in and out of medical facilities. Or how about just any ole teenager?

I have no choice but to keep him. I agree I have enabled them but with tied hands. Or should I just allow the course to be taken and my grandson to be harmed...That is not an option.

mamaw2014

Also like to note that when we have tried in the past to take him home she does not respond and is never there. I can not force the other parents to control their child. They allow her to do as she pleases.
My son yes I am very disappointed in his actions and currently in working progress to force him to grow up and take responsibility but it is a fight to say the least. We have always tried to force him take care of his son. But when he is of age and not living at home makes it difficult also.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio

How old is your son?

He spends time with him during the day basically pays his child support but also given the opportunity runs with his friends. He by no means wants the responsibility of custody. I have pleaded and begged him to try. He feels he is not in the position to do so...Basically both parents are selfish. I am aware I have enabled my son to not take care of his child. But If I did not get my grandson we would never see him and he would wind up with who knows. My son feels like he should not have to stick around when we are the ones that take him when she needs a sitter.
So mom makes sure the child is being cared for. Is she still in high school? Is the child support court ordered?

It sounds terrible but he says he visits his son and spends more time with him then most dads. Which he does but I want him to be more responsible. I want him to step up and be sure his child is cared for.
And?

Doctors are mandated reporters. They would report her to CSB/CPS if they believed she was neglecting the child. Vaccinations are NOT legally mandated in the state of Ohio -- in other words, parents can choose legally not to get their child vaccinated.

And if that was an issue the medical providers would make a report to CPS.

Rain and chilled weather doesn't necessarily cause illness. Wives tale. Wayne County fairgrounds also have many buildings in which she could have been. Truthfully mom doesn't have to tell you ANYTHING about doctor's appointments.

Okay so you took the child -- did you have a POA?

They did and he was seen immediately
They treated this child illegally then. Unless you had a written power of attorney to take the child or it was on record signed by MOTHER that you were allowed to bring the child in for treatment.
They was able to give me a inhaler and some steroids to treat him. She then never contacted me to see how he was or what the doctor said nothing. Reminder this was a Wednesday now. She finally contacted me late Friday evening and texted "hows baby??" I replied terrible and doing what ever we could to keep him from being admitted into the hospital. I informed her we had found a breathing machine also. I never got another response from her at all.
Okay. And?

Yet you are helping her out.

I think you may have a hard time proving the standards required by In Re Perales.

But she makes sure he is cared for. And you allow it.

mamaw2014

How old is your son?
He just turned 19

So mom makes sure the child is being cared for. Is she still in high school? Is the child support court ordered?
No I make sure he is cared for. She will allow anyone to keep him. She is still in high school but in trouble with truancy monthly. She refuses to go. Yes child support is court ordered. He requested his name to be on the birth certificate during DNA testing and child support was set up then.

And?

Doctors are mandated reporters. They would report her to CSB/CPS if they believed she was neglecting the child. Vaccinations are NOT legally mandated in the state of Ohio -- in other words, parents can choose legally not to get their child vaccinated.
No reporting needed because I stay on her ass to get it done. It has nothing to do with mandated laws. Everything to do with choosing herself over her child. She has no medical or religious beliefs.

And if that was an issue the medical providers would make a report to CPS.
They may have not really sure as this was a very current ordeal.

Rain and chilled weather doesn't necessarily cause illness. Wives tale. Wayne County fairgrounds also have many buildings in which she could have been. Truthfully mom doesn't have to tell you ANYTHING about doctor's appointments.
I have pictures and witnesses of her strolling about in the weather and it does not help to be in the weather. It is ignorance and carelessness on her part to even consider taking him in that weather.

Okay so you took the child -- did you have a POA?
No they have a form that I had her fill out that is good for a year at a time.

They treated this child illegally then. Unless you had a written power of attorney to take the child or it was on record signed by MOTHER that you were allowed to bring the child in for treatment.
already addressed above.
Okay. And?

Yet you are helping her out.
no I am protecting my grandson if not then I would be just a negligent as her.

I think you may have a hard time proving the standards required by In Re Perales.
Her own mother and father said they would testify and back us up in court to get custody...So that kinda breaks down the lack of motherhood for you.

But she makes sure he is cared for. And you allow it.
No again I make sure he is cared for. She could care less and wants to run with her boyfriend instead.

mamaw2014

The parents should put the child up for adoption.

Yeah that is smart... just about as smart as the person that liked your comment also. You would suggest adoption but no advise toward a loving caring grandparent that are looking for info. Same goes for the like on the post. You would like a post to suggest adoption and then say she is leaving him with people to care for him ect, ect. Basically defending the actions this mother takes...SO which is it Ohiogal. Is she doing her job or not and needs to put him up for adoption. It can't be both....

Last edited:

Proserpina

Yeah that is smart... just about as smart as the person that liked your comment also. You would suggest adoption but no advise toward a loving caring grandparent that are looking for info. Same goes for the like on the post. You would like a post to suggest adoption and then say she is leaving him with people to care for him ect, ect. Basically defending the actions this mother takes...SO which is it Ohiogal. Is she doing her job or not and needs to put him up for adoption. It can't be both....

The child that you raised made quite the mess.

It could be argued that you didn't exactly do a stellar job yourself. Do you see?

LdiJ

She is leaving the child with a responsible adult. From a legal perspective, that is making sure that the child is cared for. You came to a legal forum for answers, not an emotional support forum.

While it may be unpalatable to you, adoption is a valid choice for parents who are simply not ready to be parents. Clearly neither of these young people are ready to be parents.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No again I make sure he is cared for. She could care less and wants to run with her boyfriend instead.
Argue with me. Note something. I am an attorney/GAL in Ohio. I know the law. Also realize that the I guessed in what county you are located out of 88 counties in Ohio. I know of what I am speaking. I also know the courts in Wayne County. You would have to prove under In Re Perales that the parents are unfit/unsuitable to parent. Do you know IN Re Perales? Do you know what factors you need to prove? Do you know how the juvenile court judge will view this case? I know how she will based on how she has viewed SIMILAR cases in the past. Should I continue more with what I know that you do not? You may not like the answers but I am being blunt and honest with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">