• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Granddaughter in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandmaj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California- Sacramento County

My granddaughters mother was recently arrested and charged with felony PC 32 (aiding and abetting). The DA at her last hearing made motions to enjoin her case to the other defendant, and to modify her charges- adding in several more felony charges (assault with a deadly weapon/firearm, assault with a deadly weapon/not a firearm, shooting at an occupied dwelling or vehicle, making criminal threats). This hearing has been continued until later this month. Both she and the co defendant are out on bail, and have waived time. All of this stems from an incident where they shot at her former boyfriend behind their place of business. The business was a former illegal marijuana dispensary (the second the co defendant has had shut down) now a supposed coffee shop. Supposedly the ex boyfriend has broken in to her home (where she grows all of the marijuana) and stole all of the marijuana.

Background on mom: convictions for arson, insurance fraud, transporting methamphetamine, a VOP for failing eight drugs tests- ordered to rehab under Prop 36. I have pictures of some of the grow operation, obtained earlier this year, video (news story)of her leaving a city council meeting with her co defendant regarding his illegal marijuana dispensary.

Background on my son: he left her three years ago, she obtained a DV restraining order- good for only one year. He has been getting cleaned up from his addictions and cleaning up his legal- civil and criminal issues the last three years. He is not in a place where he feels he can care for a child.

CPS has removed the older two children (three kids- 9, 6 , and almost 2) three times- but has given them back every time. CPS in Sacramento county is in very bad shape. It seems they only take action after a child is severely injured or killed. They did recommend that I try to get guardianship.

Her youngest childs father was in the home until last Oct when he was hospitalized for a bacterial infection from heroin use. He was hospitalized for four months and will be permanently disabled due to brain damage. His mother and I are in contact (unfortunately she is in MI) and is preparing a statement for me detailing everything that went on while her son was there- incidents she personally witnessed of domestic violence, child abuse, drug use, threats, and harassment by the childrens mother.

A couple that lived with her for a short time (former friends of my sons) witnessed neglect, (no food, lack of medical care, no personal hygiene for the kids, etc) abuse, drug use- including the grow operation, and were there in the aftermath of the shooting. This included the two defendants attempting to clean the firearm with butane which caught on fire- in front of the children. They are willing to back me up as well.

I am a single mom, and dont have the money for an attorney. Sacramento Superior court is fairly friendly for pro per cases. I have no qualms with going to court with her.

So, my questions are: file for guardianship/custody, file this as a DV case? Wait until she goes to jail? (which will hopefully happen, but she isnt convicted yet) Knowing the level of violence in the home, I am not comfortable with waiting one more second. I have held off, because I couldnt prove anything, but now I can.

Do I have any hope of saving my grand daughter from this? (and possible her siblings- the youngest ones grandma will come out to get her grandson, oldest childs family is all in prison)

OHRoadwarrior

Ask mom to give you temp custody until she gets out of jail. Ask your son to butt out or do the same. This is cheap and should not require going to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">