• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandkids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bsingle1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My daughter has past away.
And I do not think that my grandkids are being taken care of properly.
I am looking to go to court to get custody of my grandkids.
There father is repeatly being sent to jail for offenses.
He does have a live-in girlfriend but I do not want to take the kids back home.
He receives $1800.00 a month from Social Security for the kids but I never see any food in the kids home whenever I go over to visit.
I believe the money is being spent on other things.
He is not working (neither is the girlfriend) and he does at times ask us for money or food.

If I persue getting custody of the kids...and it is not granted....can he keep me from seeing my grandkids? The kids father and my daughter were never married....justed lived together for 4-5 years.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

He receives $1800.00 a month from Social Security for the kids but I never see any food in the kids home whenever I go over to visit.
He is not working (neither is the girlfriend) and he does at times ask us for money or food.

If I persue getting custody of the kids...and it is not granted....can he keep me from seeing my grandkids? The kids father and my daughter were never married....justed lived together for 4-5 years.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Absolutely.

If you take him to court and lose, you'll likely never see them again.

This is something you seriously need to think about.

You would have to prove that Dad is legally unfit to even stand a chance...and of course, if he's unfit or you think the children are at risk you would be calling CPS/equivalent, wouldn't you?

See where I'm going here?

They're either being taken care of - or they're not. And if they're not, child services should be involved.

CourtClerk

So the children are starving when they are in his care? You've let this go on for how long before you called DCFS?

If you sue and you lose, you can GUARANTEE you will NEVER see those kids again.

Oh, and $1800 is a drop in the bucket in CA. It's not a lot of money at all. Sorry for your loss, but this isn't the way to deal with it.

Isis1

Gran, because of the death of your daughter, you have the possibility of filing for visitation of the grandchildren. Which still runs the risk of never seeing the grandkids again should you lose.

Since Dad allows you in the house enough to see what is in his fridge, than you have a better chance of cozying up to dad as it stands and keep it that way.

I wouldn't rock that boat if i were you.

LdiJ

Gran, because of the death of your daughter, you have the possibility of filing for visitation of the grandchildren. Which still runs the risk of never seeing the grandkids again should you lose.

Since Dad allows you in the house enough to see what is in his fridge, than you have a better chance of cozying up to dad as it stands and keep it that way.

I wouldn't rock that boat if i were you.
I honestly wouldn't either. You should also be aware that dad's parents would have just as much standing for custody as you if dad were found to be unfit.

You stated that dad is in and out of jail. If he goes to jail again you can ask for emergency custody at that time and have a chance at prevailing at that time.

Otherwise, you are putting your relationship with your grandchildren at serious risk.

SESmama

Better yet offer it to your son and his GF as a helping hand. Since the welfare of the kids is far more important then who controls who perhaps offering to take them for a while so the parent can get stuff taken care of may be a better way to help all involved.

LdiJ

Better yet offer it to your son and his GF as a helping hand. Since the welfare of the kids is far more important then who controls who perhaps offering to take them for a while so the parent can get stuff taken care of may be a better way to help all involved.
Oh but see, then grandma wouldn't get the children's social security benefits...dad would still get them...and I bet that grandma wants control of those SS benefits as well.

dannyt

none

dad has 100 percent control who has contact with HIS children.make nice with him and keep your nose out of his business if you want to see your grandkids, make him mad and you can forget about it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">