• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother Stalking/Harassing/Filing False Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgiaMom211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello,

Our situation is a unique one, and has been going on for many years. My Mother-in-Law has been stalking us for a long time, trying to somehow win custody of my step-daughter. My husband is the sole custodial parent, as her biological mother gave her up shortly after she was born. The MIL/Grandmother even went so far as to convince step-d to come with her to a medical clinic to have her tell them that we hit her. Alas, there were no marks or bruises on her and the police showed up before she could do anything. But she has pulled all kinds of stunts, including calling child services and alleging all kids of abuse. We have been investigated at least a half a dozen times. It's horrible. They interview parents, friends, neighbors, our church pastor, kids' teachers, and they even tried to interview my then-3-yr-old son, which made me cry.

Now we live in GA (this started when we were in Alabama), and she does not know where we are. We have been no contact with her for the past couple of years. She has gone out of her mind, trying to locate us. A lot of it is social media posts, which we just ignore. If people want to believe that nonsense, fine. We are happy that our family is safe and thriving. However, on Christmas day she showed up to our old house, waving an attorney's card and "MISSING" flyer in the new resident's face, telling her sob story. She knows my daughter is not missing, but she is doing all she can to find out where we are and somehow gain custody. It is terrifying! Well, the new resident happens to be related to me, so they told her very calmly, "look, she is fine and we know she is not missing. She's 18. If she wanted to call you, she would call you." TODAY, the "MISSING" flyer began circulating online, on Facebook, publicly. It is up to over 40 shares in a couple of hours.

Enough is enough. There must be SOMETHING we can do, and I'd prefer to have criminal charges brought. In the past we have been frustrated, as we have been unable to obtain any kind of peace warrant, order of protection, or anything like that. We did issue a cease and desist letter that was notarized, which she posted and mocked publicly as well. I don't know whether to try to find an attorney or to go to the police/sheriff's office tomorrow? I don't know what we can do? We live in the same city as her, and this "MISSING" thing is just ... I can't find the words for it... but isn't it illegal to do this when you know it isn't true? Isn't it illegal to say these things about me and my husband?

I want my family to stay protected and hidden, as much as possible. I'm pregnant and don't want her to know. But I feel like we need help. Advice, please??

Just Blue

Hello,

Our situation is a unique one, and has been going on for many years. My Mother-in-Law has been stalking us for a long time, trying to somehow win custody of my step-daughter. My husband is the sole custodial parent, as her biological mother gave her up shortly after she was born. The MIL/Grandmother even went so far as to convince step-d to come with her to a medical clinic to have her tell them that we hit her. Alas, there were no marks or bruises on her and the police showed up before she could do anything. But she has pulled all kinds of stunts, including calling child services and alleging all kids of abuse. We have been investigated at least a half a dozen times. It's horrible. They interview parents, friends, neighbors, our church pastor, kids' teachers, and they even tried to interview my then-3-yr-old son, which made me cry.

Now we live in GA (this started when we were in Alabama), and she does not know where we are. We have been no contact with her for the past couple of years. She has gone out of her mind, trying to locate us. A lot of it is social media posts, which we just ignore. If people want to believe that nonsense, fine. We are happy that our family is safe and thriving. However, on Christmas day she showed up to our old house, waving an attorney's card and "MISSING" flyer in the new resident's face, telling her sob story. She knows my daughter is not missing, but she is doing all she can to find out where we are and somehow gain custody. It is terrifying! Well, the new resident happens to be related to me, so they told her very calmly, "look, she is fine and we know she is not missing. She's 18. If she wanted to call you, she would call you." TODAY, the "MISSING" flyer began circulating online, on Facebook, publicly. It is up to over 40 shares in a couple of hours.

Enough is enough. There must be SOMETHING we can do, and I'd prefer to have criminal charges brought. In the past we have been frustrated, as we have been unable to obtain any kind of peace warrant, order of protection, or anything like that. We did issue a cease and desist letter that was notarized, which she posted and mocked publicly as well. I don't know whether to try to find an attorney or to go to the police/sheriff's office tomorrow? I don't know what we can do? We live in the same city as her, and this "MISSING" thing is just ... I can't find the words for it... but isn't it illegal to do this when you know it isn't true? Isn't it illegal to say these things about me and my husband?

I want my family to stay protected and hidden, as much as possible. I'm pregnant and don't want her to know. But I feel like we need help. Advice, please??
Consult with an attorney to see about a RO. There also may be criminal charges the Lawyers can help you seek. As you have posted it the behavior is insane and outrageous!!

AdoptADog

Hello,

Is the granddaughter she is seeking 18? How does she plan to gain custody of someone who has reached majority?

GeorgiaMom211

Is the granddaughter she is seeking 18? How does she plan to gain custody of someone who has reached majority?
Yes, she turned 18 in October. I have no idea.

We went to local law enforcement this morning, who said they'd go to her place of employment and ask her to stop, and let her know that if she continues with the false reporting she will be arrested. However, as of 5 minutes ago she's continuing, and even threatening to 'take it further', whatever that means, and the flyer has been shared 67 times, from Florida to Missouri.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, she turned 18 in October. I have no idea.

We went to local law enforcement this morning, who said they'd go to her place of employment and ask her to stop, and let her know that if she continues with the false reporting she will be arrested. However, as of 5 minutes ago she's continuing, and even threatening to 'take it further', whatever that means, and the flyer has been shared 67 times, from Florida to Missouri.
So report Granny to FB for spamming, or have someone comment that Daughter's not missing. :cool:

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you tell the 18 year old that her grandmother is trying to contact her?

LdiJ

Why don't you tell the 18 year old that her grandmother is trying to contact her?
Perhaps a desire to protect the 18 year old from obviously crazy grandma? I doubt they want the 18 year old to face the same harassment. I also suspect that the 18 year old already is well aware of what is going on.

Just Blue

Perhaps a desire to protect the 18 year old from obviously crazy grandma? I doubt they want the 18 year old to face the same harassment. I also suspect that the 18 year old already is well aware of what is going on.
We can't protect our ADULT children from unpleasant people forever. But Granny is a nutjob. I would request an RO...And perhaps sue for defamation if able to legally. OP should consult with an attorney to see what her options are. IMHO>:)

Zigner

Let the adult make her own decision.

LdiJ

Let the adult make her own decision.
I suspect that she has. Unless the child is not on facebook herself I am sure that she is quite aware of what is going on. We are talking about an 18 year old, after all.

Zigner

I suspect that she has. Unless the child is not on facebook herself I am sure that she is quite aware of what is going on. We are talking about an 18 year old, after all.
If she has then she'll say she has (or would already have said so.) In any case, you aren't saying anything different...you're simply assuming it's already been done while I am not making that assumption.

LdiJ

If she has then she'll say she has (or would already have said so.) In any case, you aren't saying anything different...you're simply assuming it's already been done while I am not making that assumption.
Actually I was and kind of got sidetracked. I have seen the kind of damage that toxic grandparents can do to people, and this grandmother is clearly toxic. I would not willingly subject my adult child to a toxic grandparent. One day my child would have children of her own and I would not want her to be subject to the same abuse.

GeorgiaMom211

This. She's aware. I can't force her to make a phone call and gma was a very bad influence on her, so it's fine with me that she doesn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">