• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent - Step Grandparent - Rights in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blessedmamaxo

What is the name of your state? OREGON
Hello, I need some advice on the legal laws in Oregon about Grandparent/Step grandparent rights.

My husband and I are married and we have 1 child and another on the way. His parents have been divorced for years, and my issues are reguarding his father and step mother. His step mother never had custody over him, his mother had custody over him and raised him.

His Father and Step Mother have made comments about wanting to take our daughter and have her go to their house, go out of town, etc. We both do not trust either of them, for multiple reasons, including the way they raised my husbands brother and her 3 children. Especially his step mother. She has done a lot of causing problems and showing no real interest in anyones well being but herself. She's very decieving and coniving. She enjoys causing problems between all of us... Basically her character and judgement could never be trusted. They both think it's "okay" to have parties and have massive amounts of drinking going on when children are present, which I have a huge problem with (Family gatherings). The whole time I have been in this family (together 9 years and married 4 1/2 years) they have not proven one time to be trustworthy. So therefore we could never trust our children in their care, especially hers. I told them that they could never be alone with our children for the fact we don't trust them, but they are more than welcome to come over and see them at any time. We told them that since they are our children and we are looking out for their best interest, that anyone we have a trusting and stable relationship with could spend alone time with them, naturally we don't want anything bad to happen to our children. We don't allow smoking, cussing, drinking in our home and that's the way we choose to raise our kids, keeping a safe and stable environment for them. I don't mind people having alone time with my children, as long as I know their head is on right.

So my question is, do they have any "rights" to my kids? I didn't deny them seeing them, but I don't want them to be alone with them, unless they cleaned their act up. Especially a step grandparent, who never had custody over my husband when he was a minor?
What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? OREGON
Hello, I need some advice on the legal laws in Oregon about Grandparent/Step grandparent rights.

My husband and I are married and we have 1 child and another on the way. His parents have been divorced for years, and my issues are reguarding his father and step mother. His step mother never had custody over him, his mother had custody over him and raised him.

His Father and Step Mother have made comments about wanting to take our daughter and have her go to their house, go out of town, etc. We both do not trust either of them, for multiple reasons, including the way they raised my husbands brother and her 3 children. Especially his step mother. She has done a lot of causing problems and showing no real interest in anyones well being but herself. She's very decieving and coniving. She enjoys causing problems between all of us... Basically her character and judgement could never be trusted. They both think it's "okay" to have parties and have massive amounts of drinking going on when children are present, which I have a huge problem with (Family gatherings). The whole time I have been in this family (together 9 years and married 4 1/2 years) they have not proven one time to be trustworthy. So therefore we could never trust our children in their care, especially hers. I told them that they could never be alone with our children for the fact we don't trust them, but they are more than welcome to come over and see them at any time. We told them that since they are our children and we are looking out for their best interest, that anyone we have a trusting and stable relationship with could spend alone time with them, naturally we don't want anything bad to happen to our children. We don't allow smoking, cussing, drinking in our home and that's the way we choose to raise our kids, keeping a safe and stable environment for them. I don't mind people having alone time with my children, as long as I know their head is on right.

So my question is, do they have any "rights" to my kids? I didn't deny them seeing them, but I don't want them to be alone with them, unless they cleaned their act up. Especially a step grandparent, who never had custody over my husband when he was a minor?
What is the name of your state?
No...they don't have any inherent rights regarding your children...and since you and your husband are in an intact family, they don't even have standing to attempt to obtain grandparent visitaiton rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">