• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent visitation after death of father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angela8663

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My children have been adopted by my husband. Their father is deceased. Their grandmother is wanting to see them. She hasn't asked to see them in 2 yrs. She came for the funeral 6 months prior to that but had not seen them for 2-3 yrs before that. She has made no calls in the last 16 months, only sent them a card at xmas and a letter to me requesting my husbands antiques back that had been given to us in 1998. Their birth father committed suicide and it has been a long hard road back to a happy life. I am concerned that their grandmother reappearing will cause some emotional problems now. Their grandmother lives 4 hrs away and wants them to come down there. I have told them that she will have to visit here if we agree on the visit. Do I have to allow visitation?

LdiJ

angela8663 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My children have been adopted by my husband. Their father is deceased. Their grandmother is wanting to see them. She hasn't asked to see them in 2 yrs. She came for the funeral 6 months prior to that but had not seen them for 2-3 yrs before that. She has made no calls in the last 16 months, only sent them a card at xmas and a letter to me requesting my husbands antiques back that had been given to us in 1998. Their birth father committed suicide and it has been a long hard road back to a happy life. I am concerned that their grandmother reappearing will cause some emotional problems now. Their grandmother lives 4 hrs away and wants them to come down there. I have told them that she will have to visit here if we agree on the visit. Do I have to allow visitation?
No, you do not have to allow visitation, and you certainly don't have to allow visitation in the grandmother's home.

At this point she has no established relationship with the children...basically, other than seeing them at the funeral she hasn't spent any time with them for close to 5 years. Even if she were to sue for grandparent visitation, she would not win.

However, it would be the kind thing to do to allow her to visit the children in your home....assuming that she is a fit person.

brisgirl825

I agree with LdiJ here. I'm sure that G-Ma has a lot of guilt about her son's suicide. Maybe she is trying to make things right now.
Give it a go and see how she is with the kids and see how your kids react.

GL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">