• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents accountability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fserafim

I live in WA and my grandson lives in CA. Our son has full custody of three children, including the grandson who would benefit from living with us for a while. His dad requested we take him. The CPS took him into foster care - due to domestic violence but are willing to release him to us. What are the legal requirements. Who am I and (grandma) accountable to CA or WA?

sandyclaus

I live in WA and my grandson lives in CA. Our son has full custody of three children, including the grandson who would benefit from living with us for a while. His dad requested we take him. The CPS took him into foster care - due to domestic violence but are willing to release him to us. What are the legal requirements. Who am I and (grandma) accountable to CA or WA?
These are questions you should be asking the CPS worker.

As far as legal requirements, it sounds like they are asking you to take custody of the grandson. Whether that means just acting as his temporary guardian, or placing him with you until he turns 18 is something that should be discussed with both CPS and Dad.

As for the question regarding being accountable, what exactly do you mean?

fserafim

CPS are considering our "guardianship" of our grandson. The communication came from CA. Will WA gov be involved and if so, what legal requirements? I apologize if my question is confusing but if CPS, I presume need a background check - who does this CA gov or WA gov?:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
WA and CA will need to work together in order to complete an ICPC. Until that interstate compact is completed, you will not legally be able to get custody. What normally minimally happens is a background check is done on all members of the household, there are home visits by the local CPS caseworkers, and there is a check to make sure that you or anyone in your household has been involved with CA.The process could take six months.

fserafim

WA and CA will need to work together in order to complete an ICPC. Until that interstate compact is completed, you will not legally be able to get custody. What normally minimally happens is a background check is done on all members of the household, there are home visits by the local CPS caseworkers, and there is a check to make sure that you or anyone in your household has been involved with CA.The process could take six months.
Thank you very much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">