• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents adopting, or getting guardianship of grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nenatwilliams

I am in Texas, i was granted joint conservator of my granddaughter, my daughter being other party, the court just terminated her parental rights, leaving me sole conservator (in cooperation with CPS), what do I need to do to either legally adopt, or get sole guardianship of my granddaughter? Which one is better, i have been going to hearings to adopt, thought it would be more of a formality since she's been with me for a year, but getting no answers, CPS case worker is very uncooperative suddenly. Is it easier to ask for sole guardianship?>I am so anxious to get this finalized so we can get on with our lives. Please advise, what has to happen? which is better? Faster or easier than the adoption?

Just Blue

I am in Texas, i was granted joint conservator of my granddaughter, my daughter being other party, the court just terminated her parental rights, leaving me sole conservator (in cooperation with CPS), what do I need to do to either legally adopt, or get sole guardianship of my granddaughter? Which one is better, i have been going to hearings to adopt, thought it would be more of a formality since she's been with me for a year, but getting no answers, CPS case worker is very uncooperative suddenly. Is it easier to ask for sole guardianship?>I am so anxious to get this finalized so we can get on with our lives. Please advise, what has to happen? which is better? Faster or easier than the adoption?
Where is the Father of this child?

LdiJ

Actually, being her sole conservator is a stronger legal position than guardianship. If dad's parental rights have also been terminated you could adopt the child but otherwise, unless something else is going on with CPS, you are as "finalized" as you need to be.

You might consult a local attorney who can look over the documents to be certain however...and it does matter what dad's status is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">