• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents getting custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeeRichards

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Is there anything that can be done to help assure that my parents would get custody of my daughter should anything happen to me? She and I live with my parents, so they are almost like parents to her.

Are there organizations working to get grandparents more rights?

Proserpina

Is there anything that can be done to help assure that my parents would get custody of my daughter should anything happen to me? She and I live with my parents, so they are almost like parents to her.

Are there organizations working to get grandparents more rights?

Why wouldn't the other parent get custody?

LeeRichards

The reasons for the daddy not getting custody is a discussion that opens up a "can of worms." In a nutshell....the daddy and his family are perverted and severely dysfunctional. He lives with his mom and sisters, and he has a brother nearby. They don't graduate from high school, they have multiple babies out of wedlock, they believe firmly in the benefits of food stamps and welfare and anything else they can get by "hook or by crook." They are involved in sexual activities that are unhealthy and possibly criminal (though statutory rape that produced a child is the only thing I have proof of). The thought of my daughter being raised by them horrifies me. It's bad enough that the custody battle I'm in most assuredly means that she will be over at that house for about 1/3 of her life some day. My daughter is 4 years old now. Why the daddy is fighting for this now I have no idea. I don't get child support; he can see her anytime he wishes here at my house. Taking me to court means he'll get unsupervised visitation, but also means he'll have to pay me child support.

I'm in good health. I just want to see if there's anything I can do in the case of something happening to me.

Banned_Princess

The reasons for the daddy not getting custody is a discussion that opens up a "can of worms." In a nutshell....the daddy and his family are perverted and severely dysfunctional. He lives with his mom and sisters, and he has a brother nearby. They don't graduate from high school, they have multiple babies out of wedlock, they believe firmly in the benefits of food stamps and welfare and anything else they can get by "hook or by crook." They are involved in sexual activities that are unhealthy and possibly criminal (though statutory rape that produced a child is the only thing I have proof of). The thought of my daughter being raised by them horrifies me. It's bad enough that the custody battle I'm in most assuredly means that she will be over at that house for about 1/3 of her life some day. My daughter is 4 years old now. Why the daddy is fighting for this now I have no idea. I don't get child support; he can see her anytime he wishes here at my house. Taking me to court means he'll get unsupervised visitation, but also means he'll have to pay me child support.

I'm in good health. I just want to see if there's anything I can do in the case of something happening to me.
isnt that just the pot calling the pan black. :rolleyes:

He is going to have visitation, then most likely he will get custody of her if something happens to you.

Sorry.

Proserpina

None of which matters, legally.

He's the child's father - unless he can be proven unfit, he'll be first in line for custody should you die.

Period. Even if.

Just Blue

From Ms. "Morals" other thread:

12-05-2010, 07:43 PM
LeeRichards
Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2010

Custody battle / financial disclosure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never married my baby's daddy, and we only lived together approximately one year. I left him while I was still pregnant, and when the baby was born I did not put him on the birth certificate. While together we never mixed our finances in any way. We were like roommates rather than a family. Now, four years later, he is suing for joint custody. He's hired a criminal lawyer. This lawyer (or my ex) have demanded full disclosure of my finances going back four years. Full disclosure. It's like an IRS audit. He wants absolutely every proof of every penny earned, saved or spent for the past four years. He also wants credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and every other personal and private piece of information you can imagine. Check copies, deposit tickets, check registers - everything. It's unbelievable. My lawyer told me I have to submit this information. I'm beginning to wonder if I've made a bad choice in lawyers. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this personal information actually a requirement in the state of FL? Especially when the couple never married and never mixed finances it makes no sense! (For the records - I am in college, work part time, live with and am supported by my parents, earn almost $60/week. My ex makes $3,000/month.)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">