• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents have custody, now they are trying to adopt and change names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lnm2016

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Another one of those unique cases where grandparents think they are helping or have a grudge to settle.

This story starts 6 years ago and is too long to post all of it. I can say that my fiance's step-mother has brought the whole family much more strife than is necessary. Her and my fiance's father do have custody over the children due to past cases in the court. My fiance is not the reason for these other cases to be opened, yet the step-mom has done everything in her power to ruin his relationship with the children.

We have not seen the children in 5 years, and the grandparents moved to another city without even notifying us. Besides not having money to fight, we feel awkward taking these people to court, let alone anyone. So we have endured. He pays child support and insurance on the children. The later has only been recently, but it is happening currently.

Now the step-mom has opened a case to try to adopt the children and change their first and middle names. The kids are 8 and 9. My fiance doesn't want any of this to happen, but feels helpless to make things work in his favor.

We don't know how to do anything with the courts and would appreciate if someone could tell us what info we need to bring or any paperwork we should file.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're not mom, are you?

He hasn't seen his kid in FIVE years, and hasn't provided any support for them for the majority of that time. There is much more to this story that you are simply not privy to. Please have one of the legally involved parties ask their own questions. Thank you in advance for you gracious understanding and cooperation.

Silverplum

Another one of those unique cases where grandparents think they are helping or have a grudge to settle.

This story starts 6 years ago and is too long to post all of it. I can say that my fiance's step-mother has brought the whole family much more strife than is necessary. Her and my fiance's father do have custody over the children due to past cases in the court. My fiance is not the reason for these other cases to be opened, yet the step-mom has done everything in her power to ruin his relationship with the children.

We have not seen the children in 5 years, and the grandparents moved to another city without even notifying us. Besides not having money to fight, we feel awkward taking these people to court, let alone anyone. So we have endured. He pays child support and insurance on the children. The later has only been recently, but it is happening currently.

Now the step-mom has opened a case to try to adopt the children and change their first and middle names. The kids are 8 and 9. My fiance doesn't want any of this to happen, but feels helpless to make things work in his favor.

We don't know how to do anything with the courts and would appreciate if someone could tell us what info we need to bring or any paperwork we should file.
As a non-party to the case, there is no "we" in this: you cannot file anything.

As an aside, children are not stuffed teddy bears: they require constant, daily care. Who has provided that care? Is it best for the children to stay where there is such care? I know the answer: do you?

Just Blue

Charming. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So we have TWO over-stepping stepmothers. Nice.

ETA: My mistake - one overstepping stepmother and one overstepping girlfriend.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So we have TWO over-stepping stepmothers. Nice.

ETA: My mistake - one overstepping stepmother and one overstepping girlfriend.
I don't see an overstepping stepmother. I see a grandfather and his wife who came to the plate to care for their grandchildren/step-grandchildren when the mother and father of these children either couldn't or wouldn't. They have cared for and raised these children for over half of their life and now the new girlfriend of the dad in the picture wants to be the champion for her man.

RRevak

Regarding the bolded:
You're either not getting the whole story, not giving US the whole story, or your soon to be husband is a loser that didn't work hard enough to keep his kids. Which is it?

Proserpina

Regarding the bolded:
You're either not getting the whole story, not giving US the whole story, or your soon to be husband is a loser that didn't work hard enough to keep his kids. Which is it?
THIS.

Frankly there are very, very few legitimate reasons to NOT see your children of YOUR OWN CHOICE for 5 years. And that's pretty much what Dad has done here - he's chosen this path.

Before I finish the thought, WHY hasn't Dad done anything? Don't tell us about how he "didn't know how" or "couldn't afford court". Please. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">