• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godsangel

I live in Iowa and my son has been charged with child endangerment and about a mouth ago he killed his best friend. Now the state wants to take his parents rights away. His wife was also charge with the Child endan, the children have put as child in of asst, and her mother has them. I get them when they let me. ??? Can my son give me his parents rights and i have them part of the time and if so how would i going about this? From what i understand he wont be in jail long maybe 10 to 15 years. Please Help me!!!

Isis1

I live in Iowa and my son has been charged with child endangerment and about a mouth ago he killed his best friend. Now the state wants to take his parents rights away. His wife was also charge with the Child endan, the children have put as child in of asst, and her mother has them. I get them when they let me. ??? Can my son give me his parents rights and i have them part of the time and if so how would i going about this? From what i understand he wont be in jail long maybe 10 to 15 years. Please Help me!!!
so the maternal grandmother has the children because neither the mother or father is considered fit right now?

no, dad cannot transfer his parental rights to you. where do you get the idea that children can be transfered like a car?

as of now, the state has granted the maternal grandmother temp custody. is mom facing long term jail time?

tad bit shocked you think 10-15 isn't a long time.

LdiJ

If the state wants to terminate your son's parental rights he will no longer legally be the children's father. You may not legally be the children's grandparent depending upon state law in Iowa.

The maternal grandmother will possibly adopt these children if both parents rights are terminated. If the mother's rights are not terminated, she will be given an opportunity to jump through hoops to get her children back.

al7jy

Find a family law attorney if those are indeed YOUR grandkids! Many states have grandparent visitation rights so you can be in contact with them. Too many parents in messed up lives use their children as pawns and hurt the children AND the grandparents.

You won't find much sympathy on this forum for grandparents, just a fair warning. I found out the hard way, all I did was get bashed. I'm fighting to see our granddaughter and have an attorney. If my daughter is an ungrateful snot and can't see she is hurting her child, then that's her problem. Me, I'm fighting.;)

Rushia

Find a family law attorney if those are indeed YOUR grandkids! Many states have grandparent visitation rights so you can be in contact with them. Too many parents in messed up lives use their children as pawns and hurt the children AND the grandparents.

You won't find much sympathy on this forum for grandparents, just a fair warning. I found out the hard way, all I did was get bashed. I'm fighting to see our granddaughter and have an attorney. If my daughter is an ungrateful snot and can't see she is hurting her child, then that's her problem. Me, I'm fighting.;)
Do NOT give the OP false hope. Just because there is a statute does NOT mean it is a guaranteed win for the grandparent. Just because your daughter does not let you see the child means that she is hurting her child. I wouldn't want you around my child when your disdain is so obvious. That hurts the child more.

Proserpina

No, some states have statutes which allow a grandparent to sue for visitation rights.

NO state has automatic grandparent visitation rights.

You didn't get bashed. You were told the unvarnished truth. You also appear to be more toxic than you realize.

Look at your own behaviour and attitude. You might learn something.

We can't all be wrong when the collective seems to agree that WE wouldn't want you around our children with your attitude.

Ladyback1

If you daughter is an "ungrateful snot" then she has you to thank for raising her that way. Perhaps you should try to "mend the fences" with "snot child" before undertaking a multi-thousand dollar suit. :)
sometimes, it is not that the parents raised an ungrateful snot. Sometimes, it is that some people are wired to be ungrateful not (or jerk, or mean, or whatever negative term you want to use...). Or sometimes, as adults we take some perceived slight by our parents and become all sorts of stupid.

On the other hand, sometimes, it really is the parents' fault.;)

Just Blue

sometimes, it is not that the parents raised an ungrateful snot. Sometimes, it is that some people are wired to be ungrateful not (or jerk, or mean, or whatever negative term you want to use...). Or sometimes, as adults we take some perceived slight by our parents and become all sorts of stupid.

On the other hand, sometimes, it really is the parents' fault.;)
I based my comment on that members posting HX. ;)

al7jy

I did not intend to give this person any false hopes. I understand the realities and how brutal the system can be. I know this is a forum that is supposed to be about legal issues, not personal. All these cases are emotionally charged for everyone. So if a person seems 'mental'...well, consider the emotional state of what they are dealing with if you can, with a bit of kindness.

Good kids can come from very bad parents and vice versa, all of mine are different individuals, and so each CASE is individual. To insinuate that someone here is 'mental' is rude and has been addressed by a mod already. Why continue, does this make anyone feel better?

A person HAS to have HOPE. Without it, why bother? The reference to my profile was interesting too. Retired does not mean that I was not a professional beforehand. So what was that about? Again, maybe this should be reported as you all are getting off topic by referencing me every so subtly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">