• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbeem127

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Ohio, but my bio mom lives in Michigan. I have 4 children by my ex. I have been remarried for 5 years. My bio mother is trying to get grandparents rights to my 4 children. She gave up her rights to me when I was a teenager, and another couple took me in, but didn't adopt me. Their have been 7 children molested under the care of my bio mom, including me & my son. I don't have a relationship with her, and haven't for years. Besides, the children do get to see her while on visitations with my ex, of which I don't approve. Does my bio mom have any standing to get visitations? Thank you!!

The ages of my children are 12, 9, 7, & 5.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Ohio, but my bio mom lives in Michigan. I have 4 children by my ex. I have been remarried for 5 years. My bio mother is trying to get grandparents rights to my 4 children. She gave up her rights to me when I was a teenager, and another couple took me in, but didn't adopt me. Their have been 7 children molested under the care of my bio mom, including me & my son. I don't have a relationship with her, and haven't for years. Besides, the children do get to see her while on visitations with my ex, of which I don't approve. Does my bio mom have any standing to get visitations? Thank you!!

The ages of my children are 12, 9, 7, & 5.
Were her rights TERMINATED and you became a ward of the state? Or did she just relinguish custody? That matters.
She could sue for visitation but she would have a huge uphill battle to win -- unless you would agree. Could she win? Slim chance. But it depends on what type of visitation and a variety of other things. Most likely, she would not win unless you agreed to her having visitation.

rbeem127

I'm not sure if I was a ward of the state or not. I'm in the process of trying to find that out. I'm pretty sure I was, but not sure. I'll will call the courts, then get back with you on that. Does it matter if my ex takes them over there & let's them stay & has her babysit them while on his visitations? Since all of the child molestations, is their anything I could do to keep him from taking them over there? The court sent the papers back to her cause she has to add my ex to the complaint as well. Thanks for your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not sure if I was a ward of the state or not. I'm in the process of trying to find that out. I'm pretty sure I was, but not sure. I'll will call the courts, then get back with you on that. Does it matter if my ex takes them over there & let's them stay & has her babysit them while on his visitations? Since all of the child molestations, is their anything I could do to keep him from taking them over there? The court sent the papers back to her cause she has to add my ex to the complaint as well. Thanks for your help.
You would need to PROVE your mother is a danger to the children and get a restraining order against her protecting the children. That may be easy or difficult to do. Unless there is a court order however your ex can take the children to see her on his time.

Proserpina

Plus, if the ex has custody (if only temporary) and grandma is babysitting regularly?

AVOID this like the plague if you don't want grandma to get court-ordered visitation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That actually puts grandma in a better position.
How do you figure that? If grandma's parental rights to OP were terminated then these are NOT her grandchildren because OP is NOT her child. So your statement is confusing to me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Plus, if the ex has custody (if only temporary) and grandma is babysitting regularly?

AVOID this like the plague if you don't want grandma to get court-ordered visitation.
Where are YOU getting the idea that the ex has custody? OP is NOT in county/state custody now. She was when she was a child apparently due to grandma being accused of molestation per OP's ORIGINAL POST. How do you figure that grandma will get court-ordered visitation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you figure that? If grandma's parental rights to OP were terminated then these are NOT her grandchildren because OP is NOT her child. So your statement is confusing to me.
Sorry - I was exactly wrong on that. Brain fart.

Proserpina

Because she EDITED before you saw it. Look at the timing.

She originally also asked what if she gave custody to her ex and then her Mom babysit while HE had the baby.

rbeem127

My bio moms parental rights were terminated when I was 14. I have sole custody of my kids. The ex has visitation rights once a month, but only takes them 3-4 times a year. He also lives in Michigan, but jurisdiction is in Ohio where I live. My sister & I were molested. My bio mom remarried & 5 more children were molested, including my son. The ex does allow the kids to be with her at times against my wishes. Thank for everyone's advice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Because she EDITED before you saw it. Look at the timing.

She originally also asked what if she gave custody to her ex and then her Mom babysit while HE had the baby.
The only edit happened at 11:05 this morning. Unless I am missing something. And you responded at 4 something this afternoon.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My bio moms parental rights were terminated when I was 14. I have sole custody of my kids. The ex has visitation rights once a month, but only takes them 3-4 times a year. He also lives in Michigan, but jurisdiction is in Ohio where I live. My sister & I were molested. My bio mom remarried & 5 more children were molested, including my son. The ex does allow the kids to be with her at times against my wishes. Thank for everyone's advice.
Okay then request that this woman not have ANY contact with your children -- attempt to get a CPO protecting your children from being around her at all. Or if that doesn't work, go back to court in the custody issue and have it added to the custody portion that neither parent shall allow the children around your biological mother due to the fact that her rights to you were terminated and she has molested every one of her children (provided you have PROOF of that). Have you attempted to talk to your ex about the dangers your bio mother poses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">