• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents Rights In PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yonick419

What is the name of your state? PA
Can anyone tell me if there is any new law that is being considered to go into affect that would allow a grandparent to take us to court over visitation with our daughter. We are a happily married couple and parents of one child, our 3 year old daughter. Thus far we have been protected by the law. But MIL is threatening again stating there is some new law they are pushing to be passed that would allow her the right to take us to court no matter the status of our family.

LdiJ

Yonick419 said:
What is the name of your state? PA
Can anyone tell me if there is any new law that is being considered to go into affect that would allow a grandparent to take us to court over visitation with our daughter. We are a happily married couple and parents of one child, our 3 year old daughter. Thus far we have been protected by the law. But MIL is threatening again stating there is some new law they are pushing to be passed that would allow her the right to take us to court no matter the status of our family.
There is no new law at this point. However, the grandparent lobby in PA is regularly attempting to get PA legislators to change the law so that intact families can be sued. So far it hasn't happened....but no one can predict the future.

However, even if a law gets passed, a grandparent still has to have a pre-existing relationship with the child in order to have any real chance of winning court ordered visitation.....and even then its not guaranteed. The judge has to give weight to fit parents decisions regarding who may associate with their children. The burden of proof is on the grandparent to show that the parent's decision is wrong.

Yonick419

Well this grandparent has NO pre-existing relationship with our child. I'm glad to hear thus far there is no new law. You are so right though, no one can predict the future. I just cant ever imagine any judge underminded our decision as two fit, married parents. Especially where there has never been any relationship with the minor child and the "grandparent" (I use that term very loosely)!! Thanks for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">