• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent's rights State of Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purnellcindy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

What are Grandparents rights when their son dies before marrying the mother of his
child?

My niece's fiance recently died before they married. They have a young son, who is the
grandparents only grandchild.

What would be the harm in "the Mother signing temporary guardianship" papers to allow these grandparents to care for the child temporarily, while his Mother continues to works full time and comes to grips with the child's father's death?

The child lived with, and was being cared for by his parents, who were both employed prior to his father's death.

The individuals/grandparents are quite affluent, and are quite influential in the legal community in the State of Florida, and have the financial means to "fight
for custody" if it ever were to come to that.

Should my niece "trust" that the family only wants to do the right thing by their daughter-in-law and grandson?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

Nice. The child loses a parent and the other wants to give him to someone else. Sweet.

You know the child has a lot to come to grip with as well...:(

Hot Topic

Right now, the mother is dealing with the death of the child's father. The last thing she needs is a relative who thinks she should turn her child over to the grandparents temporarily while she copes with her loss, then turns around and muses that the grandparents, being wealthy and influential in their community, could turn around and seek custody of the child.

Please don't add to her grief with your idea of being "helpful."

I could be wrong, but since the couple did not marry due to the premature death of the husband to be, the bride-to-be is not the grandparents' daughter-in-law.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

What are Grandparents rights when their son dies before marrying the mother of his
child?

My niece's fiance recently died before they married. They have a young son, who is the
grandparents only grandchild.

What would be the harm in "the Mother signing temporary guardianship" papers to allow these grandparents to care for the child temporarily, while his Mother continues to works full time and comes to grips with the child's father's death?

The child lived with, and was being cared for by his parents, who were both employed prior to his father's death.

The individuals/grandparents are quite affluent, and are quite influential in the legal community in the State of Florida, and have the financial means to "fight
for custody" if it ever were to come to that.

Should my niece "trust" that the family only wants to do the right thing by their daughter-in-law and grandson?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your question really isn't about what is legal, rather what should the grieving mother do.

My opinion- she should NOT trust the Grandparents, it would be too easy for them to fight for custody and win.

What she should do is contact her local mental health center. They will have a list of resources for her that can be a huge help. Everything from grief support to all that is involved in applying for SS survivor's benefits for her child. Right now, her child needs her, but she also needs her child just as much. Taking care of her child will actually help her through the terrible grieving process. Believe me, she will regret it if she allows ANYONE to take over caring for her child, and she will never regret keeping her child during this time.

Florida does not have grandparent's rights statutes (the ones on the books have been ruled unconstitutional) so she does not have to give grandparents anything that she is not comfortable with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">