• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMacsMum

Texas.. my son and his wife are divorcing he is bipolar and had to go to a hospital due to the meds causing hallucinations his wife will not let me talk to my only grandchild or see her.. what are my rights? this is a big mess right now but I just want to let her know that her Mum Mum loves her but I cant

Proserpina

Texas.. my son and his wife are divorcing he is bipolar and had to go to a hospital due to the meds causing hallucinations his wife will not let me talk to my only grandchild or see her.. what are my rights? this is a big mess right now but I just want to let her know that her Mum Mum loves her but I cant

You don't have any inherent rights.

Once your son is divorced, if he remains hospitalized you may have standing to sue for visitation.

But you must understand that this is a very hostile act - and if you lose the suit, you will likely never see your grandchild again.

How much contact have you had with your grandchild?

How old is she?

CMacsMum

she is 3 my son will be out in 2 weeks. all i want is to see her and talk to her. Its not like i am asking to take her for a weekend. I am very close to her and she is a daddy's girl my daughter in laws mom told my dad that my grandbaby cries alot for her daddy.. he is going to be ok they just have to get his meds regulated.

Proserpina

she is 3 my son will be out in 2 weeks. all i want is to see her and talk to her. Its not like i am asking to take her for a weekend. I am very close to her and she is a daddy's girl my daughter in laws mom told my dad that my grandbaby cries alot for her daddy.. he is going to be ok they just have to get his meds regulated.

Do you understand what a grandparent visitation suit involves?

You're taking the parent to court, and requesting regular visitation. If Mom objects, you'll have to fight it out in court and it will not be pretty. Can you actually prove that you've seen her regularly and there's a strong bond between you? How often did you see her prior to this?

It's really up to your son to get a visitation order, and then you can see her during his time.

CMacsMum

I saw her every weekend. she let me see her for just a minute 2 weeks ago and my grandbaby came running crying mum mum i want you.. I want to find the best way to do it without fighting.. i would even settle for her parents meeting me somewhere or just a phone call.. i talked to her on the phone every day.. she told me about her day in daycare

CMacsMum

what are is chances of getting visitation right now just coming out of the hospital? my daughter in law is really pushing this bipolar issue hard as grounds for the divorce.. she says she was let down because we didnt inform her of his mental illness.. they dated 2 years before they married 5 years ago in that 7 years time she had to know something was wrong

Proserpina

what are is chances of getting visitation right now just coming out of the hospital? my daughter in law is really pushing this bipolar issue hard as grounds for the divorce.. she says she was let down because we didnt inform her of his mental illness.. they dated 2 years before they married 5 years ago in that 7 years time she had to know something was wrong

Don't even go down that route. Blaming Mom is not going to help you at all.

Dad can file for temporary visitation orders as soon as he's out of the hospital.

I honestly cannot see you prevailing in a grandparent visitation suit.

mistoffolees

I saw her every weekend. she let me see her for just a minute 2 weeks ago and my grandbaby came running crying mum mum i want you.. I want to find the best way to do it without fighting.. i would even settle for her parents meeting me somewhere or just a phone call..
The best way to do it without fighting is to simply talk with Mom and see if you can work something out.

This is a legal forum where you can get answers on legal matters - and the answer you've gotten is that your odds of winning are slim if you DO go to court. So sit down with Mom and ask what you can do to have some kind of visitation with the child. Tell her you'll be happy to babysit when she's working or if she has to go out. Tell her you'll watch the child when she's shopping. Whatever it takes.

CMacsMum

My daughter in law finally broke and told my dad that she doesnt want me to see the baby because she was mad at me for running to my sons side while he was in ICU .. so maybe just maybe give her time . what parent wouldnt go to there child?

CMacsMum

also I wouldnt push the issue of asking to keep her for a weekend. I would just like to see her or just hear her on the phone. they have enough going on so i guess its best for me to just walk away from my only grandchild... gonna hurt but i guess i have no choice

Just Blue

also I wouldnt push the issue of asking to keep her for a weekend. I would just like to see her or just hear her on the phone. they have enough going on so i guess its best for me to just walk away from my only grandchild... gonna hurt but i guess i have no choice
The moniker your grandchild calls you is "Mum-mum"? Why?

CMacsMum

She couldnt say grandma and when she said it it sounded like mum mum. and her other grandmother is mi mi.

CMacsMum

Just a note to say that the sound of reasoning came from my sons in-laws they will bring my grandbaby to see me or let them know when i am going that way and they will pick her up so i can see her.

CJane

Just a note to say that the sound of reasoning came from my sons in-laws they will bring my grandbaby to see me or let them know when i am going that way and they will pick her up so i can see her.
THAT is a stunningly BAD idea.

Also, were these hallucinations violent in nature?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">