• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents rights in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pictureperfect1

I haven't had contact with my mother in a year because she isn't a good influence on me or my kids.

Yesterday she left me a voicemail. I haven't attempted to call, text or email her in a YEAR.

Yesterday she left me a voice message stating that I'm harassing her and bullying her and it's illegal. Huh? She called me.

She went onto to say if I don't allow her to see my kids then it's going to get "ugly". She claims she is going to sue me to see my children.

I've been married to my kids dad for 17 years. I am not unfit, abusive or incarcerated.

What can she really do?

She and her current husband lost custody of me when I was 4 because the judge said it would be injurious to leave us in her care.

My family advised me to see a lawyer tomorrow. They said my Mom is the type to start calling CPS next and making things up.

Advice?

In tx it says to get grandparents rights it must be in the best interest of the kids AND the parent has to be incarcerated, deceased, deemed unfit or have their parent-child relationship terminated by the courts.

LdiJ

I haven't had contact with my mother in a year because she isn't a good influence on me or my kids.

Yesterday she left me a voicemail. I haven't attempted to call, text or email her in a YEAR.

Yesterday she left me a voice message stating that I'm harassing her and bullying her and it's illegal. Huh? She called me.

She went onto to say if I don't allow her to see my kids then it's going to get "ugly". She claims she is going to sue me to see my children.

I've been married to my kids dad for 17 years. I am not unfit, abusive or incarcerated.

What can she really do?

She and her current husband lost custody of me when I was 4 because the judge said it would be injurious to leave us in her care.

My family advised me to see a lawyer tomorrow. They said my Mom is the type to start calling CPS next and making things up.

Advice?

In tx it says to get grandparents rights it must be in the best interest of the kids AND the parent has to be incarcerated, deceased, deemed unfit or have their parent-child relationship terminated by the courts.
How old are your children, and do they have any interest in seeing your mother? I am asking this for a reason.

pictureperfect1

13, 4 and 7.

My 13 year old mentioned possible supervised visits.

My 4 year old and 7 year old miss her but my therapist said it's better for them not to see her.

The problem is when she was seeing them she would try to make me out to be the bad guy in front of them.

She's done a lot more than that of course though. She wishes my father in law would die.
She posted on facebook wanting to know how much damage a 9mm to someone's head would do.

She and her husband have been separated, divorced and remarried 3 or 4 times in the last 7 years.

Her instability just goes on and on.

I made a huge mistake by letting her around my kids in the first place.

LdiJ

13, 4 and 7.

My 13 year old mentioned possible supervised visits.

My 4 year old and 7 year old miss her but my therapist said it's better for them not to see her.

The problem is when she was seeing them she would try to make me out to be the bad guy in front of them.

She's done a lot more than that of course though. She wishes my father in law would die.
She posted on facebook wanting to know how much damage a 9mm to someone's head would do.

She and her husband have been separated, divorced and remarried 3 or 4 times in the last 7 years.

Her instability just goes on and on.

I made a huge mistake by letting her around my kids in the first place.
Ok, since two of your children are quite young, their opinions are not going to factor into the equation. It takes some pretty significant money for a grandparent to start a gpv case. Does your mother have any significant resources? With your specific set of facts, her odds of winning would be quite slim if you and your husband are united on the issue, but she can cause you some legal expense fighting her.

pictureperfect1

She doesn't really. My husbsnd makes 4 times a year what she and her husband both make.

Her husband doesn't like to work and she got fired from her last job for stealing.

LdiJ

She doesn't really. My husbsnd makes 4 times a year what she and her husband both make.

Her husband doesn't like to work and she got fired from her last job for stealing.
Ok, then at this point I would recommend that you assume that she is bluffing...and relax. If and when she actually files something, then come back here and ask for advice again.

I couple of points however...if she does file, you want to hire an attorney who is experienced in defending parents against gpv or other third party suits, and you absolutely need to refuse to mediate or negotiate. You don't want an attorney who will encourage you to settle. You want a judge to rule on the case based on its merits. Based on what you have described, grandma's case would have no merit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">