• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Falcon465

I live in Virginia. I am currently in a legal battle to keep my biological mother and step father away from my two children. I can not understand how the states can tell people who to make you give your children too. I have many reasons that I don't want my children around these sick individuals but I've got to fight in court to keep my children safe?????? It should be the court that is backing the parents decision to keep the kids safe. Now not only do I have social services knocking on my door to do a home study I've got to spend thousands of dollars fighting the court system and these sick individuals. Makes no sense to me. Does anyone have answers??? How can you have a baby, or pay child support for a child and have no say so of how to protect them. Please help......thank you.

Just Blue

Falcon465 said:
I live in Virginia. I am currently in a legal battle to keep my biological mother and step father away from my two children. I can not understand how the states can tell people who to make you give your children too. I have many reasons that I don't want my children around these sick individuals but I've got to fight in court to keep my children safe?????? It should be the court that is backing the parents decision to keep the kids safe. Now not only do I have social services knocking on my door to do a home study I've got to spend thousands of dollars fighting the court system and these sick individuals. Makes no sense to me. Does anyone have answers??? How can you have a baby, or pay child support for a child and have no say so of how to protect them. Please help......thank you.

Are the g-parents a danger to the children??...But it really doesn't matter...You should not HAVE to allow visitation with anyone other that a parent...:(
Ldij is the expert in these matters...I am sure she will respond to your post...

LdiJ

Falcon465 said:
I would need to know the background of the case before I could give much useful advice. Are you married to the children's father? If not, does he agree or not agree with your decision?

Prevailing case law in VA (Williams vs Williams, VA Supreme Court 1998) makes it nearly impossible for grandparents to receive visitation orders if BOTH parents object.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">