• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents seeking advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sheepdawg23wm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Heres my situation, my wife is seeking temporary custody of our granddaughter until my step daughter completes arizona state program for drug rehabilitation. My stepdaughter took off at 16 years old and returned at 18 years old pregnant. She does not know who the father of our grandchild is, but claimed it was here boyfriend at the time, that actually signed the birth certificate as the father but later we found out she was lying about who the father was. After giving birth, my stepdaughter lived with us for about 3 months with her boyfriend at which time they both left with our granddaughter and moved in with her boyfriends parents. After about 3 more months of that living situation, my stepdaughter left her boyfriend and went off on a drug binge leaving our granddaughter with her ex boyfriends mother. Her ex boyfriends mother kicked her son out of the house and our granddaughter remained living there. After approximately 1 month my stepdaughters ex boyfriends mother contacted CPS on my stepdaughter about abandoning her child, The state of Arizona awarded her custody of our granddaughter. My wife and I had no idea what was going on after my stepdaughter left our home months earlier. My wife made numerous attempts to contact my stepdaughter during this time, but was unable to make contact due to my stepdaughters unwillingness to answer her phone. My mother in law informed my wife of all these events after my stepdaughter contacted her and explained what events had transpired. Currently my wife and mother in law are trying to get custody of our granddaughter but having really zero luck. I would think that if a blood relative is trying to get custody, why would the state continue to leave our granddaughter with my stepdaughters ex boyfriends mother that is no relation to my granddaughter. Is there anything we can do? Currently my wife and I have gone through background checks and been fingerprinted by the state as a process to try and gain custody, but is it futile? My stepdaughter is not completing her state program as designed and as a recourse has no say on where my granddaughter should be. I feel helpless and with all the red tape that seems to go on forever I would really appreciate any advice on what to do. I hope I've explained my situation thoroughly enough, but if not, please ask questions.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It seems as though her ex-boyfriend may well be the legal father. Which puts his mother on the same standing as your wife. Has your wife spoken to an attorney? She should.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Heres my situation, my wife is seeking temporary custody of our granddaughter until my step daughter completes arizona state program for drug rehabilitation. My stepdaughter took off at 16 years old and returned at 18 years old pregnant. She does not know who the father of our grandchild is, but claimed it was here boyfriend at the time, that actually signed the birth certificate as the father but later we found out she was lying about who the father was. After giving birth, my stepdaughter lived with us for about 3 months with her boyfriend at which time they both left with our granddaughter and moved in with her boyfriends parents. After about 3 more months of that living situation, my stepdaughter left her boyfriend and went off on a drug binge leaving our granddaughter with her ex boyfriends mother. Her ex boyfriends mother kicked her son out of the house and our granddaughter remained living there. After approximately 1 month my stepdaughters ex boyfriends mother contacted CPS on my stepdaughter about abandoning her child, The state of Arizona awarded her custody of our granddaughter. My wife and I had no idea what was going on after my stepdaughter left our home months earlier. My wife made numerous attempts to contact my stepdaughter during this time, but was unable to make contact due to my stepdaughters unwillingness to answer her phone. My mother in law informed my wife of all these events after my stepdaughter contacted her and explained what events had transpired. Currently my wife and mother in law are trying to get custody of our granddaughter but having really zero luck. I would think that if a blood relative is trying to get custody, why would the state continue to leave our granddaughter with my stepdaughters ex boyfriends mother that is no relation to my granddaughter. Is there anything we can do? Currently my wife and I have gone through background checks and been fingerprinted by the state as a process to try and gain custody, but is it futile? My stepdaughter is not completing her state program as designed and as a recourse has no say on where my granddaughter should be. I feel helpless and with all the red tape that seems to go on forever I would really appreciate any advice on what to do. I hope I've explained my situation thoroughly enough, but if not, please ask questions.
The BF is the legal father of the child. As such, the child has already been placed with family. Is the child safe and provided for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">