• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents trying to obtain custody in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DMcDonald

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My husband and I would like to try to get temporary custody of our 15 month grand daughter. Her mother is currently in jail on a violent charge. The maternal grandmother is watching her now. She (maternal grandma) has had charges on her for child abuse from 2006. We fear for the safety and well-being of our grand daughter. We are unsure if there is anything we can do as in the state of Fl grandparents do not have any legal rights. The babies father (our son) is living in OK. The parents have never been married. Our son can not afford to come to Fl & get an attorney to try to get the baby. We need to know if there is anything we can do legally. If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Thank you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My husband and I would like to try to get temporary custody of our 15 month grand daughter. Her mother is currently in jail on a violent charge. The maternal grandmother is watching her now. She (maternal grandma) has had charges on her for child abuse from 2006. We fear for the safety and well-being of our grand daughter. We are unsure if there is anything we can do as in the state of Fl grandparents do not have any legal rights. The babies father (our son) is living in OK. The parents have never been married. Our son can not afford to come to Fl & get an attorney to try to get the baby. We need to know if there is anything we can do legally. If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
And where is the father... who is presumably your sainted son.

Proserpina

Thank you.

How long is Mom going to be in jail? Has she been convicted of anything? Or just charged?

DMcDonald

Wow...Stealth...Assuming alot aren't you? I never said my son was a saint, nor do I believe that I implied it. If you read my post thoroughly you would have seen that I put my son is in OK. (Oklahoma).

Proserpina

Wow...Stealth...Assuming alot aren't you? I never said my son was a saint, nor do I believe that I implied it. If you read my post thoroughly you would have seen that I put my son is in OK. (Oklahoma).

Then perhaps your best option is to help your son get custody of his child.

(Given that you have little chance - if any - at all)

DMcDonald

I am sorry that I ever posted anything on here. Some of the replies are not necessary. I was just looking for some advice if anyone knew anything. Obviously they don't. Did not want anyone to "look up my states laws". As I said before..was just looking for some advice.
Not smart alec comments.

Proserpina

I am sorry that I ever posted anything on here. Some of the replies are not necessary. I was just looking for some advice if anyone knew anything. Obviously they don't. Did not want anyone to "look up my states laws". As I said before..was just looking for some advice.
Not smart alec comments.

What the heck is the problem?

I asked you REASONABLE questions.

And if you're mistaking somebody's SIGNATURE LINE as a personal affront..well, it's not.

OHRoadwarrior

Your son should have primary right over the child. That will be the second obstacle you face. The court will want to know why you spent all that money chasing custody, when you should have preserved the family unit, by lending it to your son and helped him get his kid. What are his issues. Money is not an excuse, since you can afford that part, obviously. Contrary to a hidden belief, children are not for sale to the richest relative.

DMcDonald

TO OHROADWARRIOR: Thank you for clarifying that children are not for sale to the highest paying relative. Phew. Of course I have not put all the info on here about our son or the situation. Again, let me say that I was just looking for some advice, not criticism, as the name of the website states..Free Advice, not Free Criticism. It amazes me the amount of time some people must spend reading these threads to only post something negative.

OHRoadwarrior

You would be surprised how many people want to leverage parental rights with money. Some people, will spend thousands on an attorney, to try and take away custody, rather than help an ex or child secure safe housing for themselves and their child. Many other scenarios play out also. If you have time, use the search feature and read some of the unbelievable stories. I wish the best result for your granddaughter, whatever it is.

Proserpina

TO OHROADWARRIOR: Thank you for clarifying that children are not for sale to the highest paying relative. Phew. Of course I have not put all the info on here about our son or the situation. Again, let me say that I was just looking for some advice, not criticism, as the name of the website states..Free Advice, not Free Criticism. It amazes me the amount of time some people must spend reading these threads to only post something negative.

Without the answers to the questions I asked, nobody can help you.

You're welcome.

:rolleyes:

SESmama

Correct me if I am wrong but since they were not married...
Has paternity been legally established? If no the legally you have no standing to ask for custody.

mistoffolees

Correct me if I am wrong but since they were not married...
Has paternity been legally established? If no the legally you have no standing to ask for custody.
As OP was told, legally, the grandparents have no standing to ask for custody either way.

Their only choice is to help their son to get custody (including establishing paternity if that hasn't been done). He can voluntarily let them watch the child if he has paternity. Of course, when Mom gets out of jail, the whole battle could be repeated.

csi7

Grandparents do not have rights in the state of Florida.
It is going to be a continuing battle over the child's primary home, and, for what?
Sit down, decide how you would want your son to handle this custody issue, and what you are willing to do to make it happen. At that point, you're not the person involved physically with the court case, except as an observer.
Best wishes with your decision.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep, I missed that - mea culpa. So... why not loan him the money (or give it to him outright) so he can fight for his children? That would make the most sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">