• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (wny)

i have a 4 year old child who has standard every other visitations with her father. her grandmother (exs mom) has filed a petition for grandparents visitation. i contacted her to see if we could work something out outside of court and she says she wants her own time. the thing is, my ex lives with her and he alternates between her house and his fathers house when he has visits. even when he is at his dads house, his mother goes to see our child there. i have told her my home is open for her to stop by (which she has). will she actually get visits?

Last edited:

Proserpina

i have a 4 year old child who has standard every other visitations with her father. her grandmother (exs mom) has filed a petition for grandparents visitation. i contacted her to see if we could work something out outside of court and she says she wants her own time. the thing is, my ex lives with her and he alternates between her house and his fathers house when he has visits. even when he is at his dads house, his mother goes to see our child there. i have told her my home is open for her to stop by (which she has). will she actually get visits?

Please stand by - there is at least one Mom here who was ruled against in NY; she knows more than probably the rest of us combined (with a couple of exceptions) about NY GPV.

I'd like to think that because Dad is living with Grandma, she doesn't have a chance in that hot place. But, this is New York.

Rushia

Did she file against Dad too?
Agree to nothing, make the courts rule.
Get an attorney.

The grandmother in my case lost as dad lived with her. Courts usually won't make an order if the parent lives with the gp.

SESmama

I always get nervous opening these forus. Hoping against hope that this specific one doesn't have anything new...

jcrl

she did file against dad i believe. in the petition it says it is sent to both of us, but dads address is her address.

Rushia

she did file against dad i believe. in the petition it says it is sent to both of us, but dads address is her address.
Then use that as your argument against her petition. Dad lives with her and as such she sees the child frequently and there is no need for her to have her "own" order. It would still be better to have an attorney argue it for you. NY is very GP friendly and while you have a good case for her not to be awarded her own time, you never know how a court is going to rule.

grammamama

Seeking visitation

I am in California and was the primary caretaker of my grandson for almost one year. He and his mother lived under my roof, but the mother was rarely ever home. She and my son were separated. The mother secretly moved out with no notice when my grandson was 2-year sold, didn't tell anyone and moved 6 hours away. She and my son currently have joint custody, so the 3-yr old has to travel 6 hours every other week. They are currently battling out custody in court and IF the mom gets custody, I need to legally have visitation rights to my grandson who is extremely attached to me.. He loves being at our home and he deserves to have visitation with us. What legally can I do? What papers can I file to request visitation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">