• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandson lives with us for 7 years. No daughter wants to move him out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Papaandnana

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nh
We have taken care of my grandson for his whole life (7 years). He has lived with us while my daughter never came home at night , lived with her boy friend in a rented room in someone's house and then moved on to live in a rented house for a year before they got tossed out for not paying their rent. During that time she had two kids with that boy friend. Grandson number one (the one that lives with us) father is not part of his life at all and he is in jail. Once my daughter and boy friend got kicked out for not paying the rent we of course let my daughter move in with us. We tried letting the boy friend stay here knowing it wouldn't work. Their entire relation ship is constant fighting and has gotten to the point they had to call the police before . When he lived here the two faught every minute and my husband had to break it up several times . My daughter works 8 hours per week with no desire to work more and the boy friend works about 15 hours a week and can't show up on time or at all . The boyfriends mom lives 2000 miles away and says she can get him a job making big money and they can live with her for a while. My daughter now is planning on taking the two kids with him and the first grandson that lives with us down there because that's where the easy job is. My first grandson will be devastated . We are like his true parents and his entire family is up here. Everything he knows. I could go on and on but I won't. In a nut shell is there anything we can do or are we powerless? My daughter does not care about the feelings of her son the one that lives with us and she says he will get over it. He will be crushed. She has never got him up for school once in his life etc etc etc. thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Legally she has every right to take him with her. She is his parent.

Lots of kids move away from everything and everyone they know and, yes they adjust and even thrive. Try and sort out something that will keep you in touch, and see if Mom won't agree to send him to you for a few weeks in summer. That is likely the best you will get... Sorry.

dannyt

no

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nh
We have taken care of my grandson for his whole life (7 years). He has lived with us while my daughter never came home at night , lived with her boy friend in a rented room in someone's house and then moved on to live in a rented house for a year before they got tossed out for not paying their rent. During that time she had two kids with that boy friend. Grandson number one (the one that lives with us) father is not part of his life at all and he is in jail. Once my daughter and boy friend got kicked out for not paying the rent we of course let my daughter move in with us. We tried letting the boy friend stay here knowing it wouldn't work. Their entire relation ship is constant fighting and has gotten to the point they had to call the police before . When he lived here the two faught every minute and my husband had to break it up several times . My daughter works 8 hours per week with no desire to work more and the boy friend works about 15 hours a week and can't show up on time or at all . The boyfriends mom lives 2000 miles away and says she can get him a job making big money and they can live with her for a while. My daughter now is planning on taking the two kids with him and the first grandson that lives with us down there because that's where the easy job is. My first grandson will be devastated . We are like his true parents and his entire family is up here. Everything he knows. I could go on and on but I won't. In a nut shell is there anything we can do or are we powerless? My daughter does not care about the feelings of her son the one that lives with us and she says he will get over it. He will be crushed. She has never got him up for school once in his life etc etc etc. thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
you have no inherit rights. nor do you have the right to prevent your daughter from moving HER CHILD anywhere she wishes. your grandson has two parents and its not you and your spouse. untill he is 18 he lives where his mother tells him to live he doesnt have a say in the matter. if you interfere and try to prevent mom from taking her child you can face criminal charges. and most likely you will never see him again when mom cuts you off from contact.

Last edited:

Micheal shawn

She has every right and she can definitely take her any where where she want to because after all she is her mothers and i must say that this the basic right of every individual that she/he has total right on their children...
Basically i think it is most appropriate that u might ask him whether he wishes to stay with you or not....

Last edited:

Proserpina

She has every right and she can definitely take her any where where she want to because after all she is her mothers and i must say that this the basic right of every individual that she/he has total right on their children...
Basically i think it is most appropriate that u might ask him whether he wishes to stay with you or not....

Please don't necropost.

CSO286

Necroposting aside, this response is pretty asinine. Do you ask a seven year old if he wants to brush his teeth at night? Eat his veggies? Do his homework?

And why don't people ask their kids if they want to do these things? Because, as parents and caregivers, we understand that children live in the moment. They see only the short game, and don't understand the long term ramifications of decisions they make in the moment.

It would be ridiculous to ask a seven year old who he prefers to live with. I can offer him ice cream, an Xbox, tree houses and camping fun where we can fish everyday at the river and spend the evenings at the amusement park.

Who do you think he'd want to live with now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">