• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Granparents' visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband got into an argument with his parents over the fact that they do not comply with our rules we have regarding our child and they constantly break those rules. My husband called their attention to it and they responded with much hostility and accused me of influencing him. So now they stopped calling or visiting their grandson. It's fine with us because I don't want my son raised watching people question his parents' authority. Also we don't want our son seeing how his grandparents treat his father and insult his mother. So my husband and I just let it be for a while and now his parents called to appologize for the way they treated him and my husband wants to reconcile and I am backing him up on that because I am hoping his parents will no longer insult him. The only thing is that after the things they said about me, I am hesitant to let our son go to their house and I don't want to go there myself, so I suggested that if in the future they want to see him, they can always come to our house as long as they treat both my husband and I with respect and stop questioning our authority in how we raise our child. My husband agrees with me on having grandparents visit at our residence.

My question is can my in-laws do something legally to force me to allow our son to go to their house? And do they have a right to insist that I am not present during their visits?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband got into an argument with his parents over the fact that they do not comply with our rules we have regarding our child and they constantly break those rules. My husband called their attention to it and they responded with much hostility and accused me of influencing him. So now they stopped calling or visiting their grandson. It's fine with us because I don't want my son raised watching people question his parents' authority. Also we don't want our son seeing how his grandparents treat his father and insult his mother. So my husband and I just let it be for a while and now his parents called to appologize for the way they treated him and my husband wants to reconcile and I am backing him up on that because I am hoping his parents will no longer insult him. The only thing is that after the things they said about me, I am hesitant to let our son go to their house and I don't want to go there myself, so I suggested that if in the future they want to see him, they can always come to our house as long as they treat both my husband and I with respect and stop questioning our authority in how we raise our child. My husband agrees with me on having grandparents visit at our residence.

My question is can my in-laws do something legally to force me to allow our son to go to their house? And do they have a right to insist that I am not present during their visits?
they could attempt a court case HOWEVER it shouldn't go anywhere. They do not have a right to insist that you are not present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">