• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CassADINA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I have two lil girls age 3 & 4, their father and most of his family live in Califonia. I have not spoken to or heard anything from the father in like seven months. There is no custody aggreement or anything, he went to jail and has just never returned. Well his mother and I are on speaking terms and she calls and talks to the kids from time to time, well she wants to come out and take my kids to visit with her mother before she passes. Well my concern is that she will not return my kids, and what I want to kno0w is if there is anything that I can do legally to ensure that she will have to bring my kids back to me!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have two lil girls age 3 & 4, their father and most of his family live in Califonia. I have not spoken to or heard anything from the father in like seven months. There is no custody aggreement or anything, he went to jail and has just never returned. Well his mother and I are on speaking terms and she calls and talks to the kids from time to time, well she wants to come out and take my kids to visit with her mother before she passes. Well my concern is that she will not return my kids, and what I want to kno0w is if there is anything that I can do legally to ensure that she will have to bring my kids back to me!
You could choose not to send them

mistoffolees

You could choose not to send them
Or you could choose to let her take them - and if she refuses to return them, you show up with the police in tow and a copy of their birth certificates showing that you are the Mom.

However, before determining if that makes sense:
- Were you and Dad married?
- Has paternity been legally established?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or you could choose to let her take them - and if she refuses to return them, you show up with the police in tow and a copy of their birth certificates showing that you are the Mom.

However, before determining if that makes sense:
- Were you and Dad married?
- Has paternity been legally established?
...assuming she could FIND them.

mistoffolees

Yep...if the OP doesn't fully trust the grandma, she should not allow grandma to take the kids anywhere.
Yes, but OP said: "Well his mother and I are on speaking terms and she calls and talks to the kids from time to time, well she wants to come out and take my kids to visit with her mother before she passes."

That doesn't sound like there's much risk of grandma disappearing with the kids. Sounds to me like Mom is looking for something to worry about.

Hot Topic

The fact that you haven't spoken to or heard anything from the father in "like" 7 months and there's no custody agreement should be investigated. Has this guy ever paid child support? Why isn't there a custody agreement? You have to know more than, "He went to jail and has just never returned."

Taking the kids to visit her mother "before she passes" is a little odd unless they've seen a lot of her. Your worry that the kids may not be returned suggests a little uneasiness with both people.

Proserpina

What transpired since this?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/sentencing-parole-pardons-plea-bargains-29/parole-transfer-525979.html

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When did his whole family move to California? Because in the last thread they all lived in Texas as of August 2010:
Originally Posted by CassADINA
I am not just talking about me, his mother, his aunts and his Grandmother all live here in the state of Texas.

LdiJ

When did his whole family move to California? Because in the last thread they all lived in Texas as of August 2010:
She said "most of his family live in CA". His dad's side of the family could all be living in CA.

CassADINA

...assuming she could FIND them.
Wel l see that is part of Iit I would know excatly where they would be at, but it is about ten hours away from me, and I don't have a car of my own to just show up if she decides to not bring them to me.

CassADINA

Yes, but OP said: "Well his mother and I are on speaking terms and she calls and talks to the kids from time to time, well she wants to come out and take my kids to visit with her mother before she passes."

That doesn't sound like there's much risk of grandma disappearing with the kids. Sounds to me like Mom is looking for something to worry about.
I am very much aware that I could judt not send them, but I am trying to be the bigger person and let his family be as much a part of their lives as they want to. I don't want to say they can't be a part of trhe girls life just cause he chose to walk out on us! Now I don't fully trust the grandmother, and that is why I wanted to know if there was any way legally i CAOULD ENSURE THAT SHE WOULD BRING MY KIDS BACK TO ME.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">