• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustMeT

What is the name of your state? Washington

My daughter got her child taken away on drug related circumstances and DSHS in Washington state gave him to a distant half cousin. We knew nothing about this for months. He has been there since July, we want him to live with us, ACTUAL family members (Grammie and Grampa) but DSHS won't let him. This family can adopt him if the mother doesn't get through her treatment program and we lose him. Is there anything we can do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your best bet really is to speak with an attorney. At this point, the cild has been with this family for quite a while.

How is it you didn't know? What is your daughter doing to work her case plan (I assume she has one?)? Reunification is going to be the primary goal. Where do you live wrt your daughter and the cousins who have the child? What sort of involvement did you have with the kiddo prior to all this/ How old is the cild?

Proserpina

My daughter got her child taken away on drug related circumstances and DSHS in Washington state gave him to a distant half cousin. We knew nothing about this for months. He has been there since July, we want him to live with us, ACTUAL family members (Grammie and Grampa) but DSHS won't let him. This family can adopt him if the mother doesn't get through her treatment program and we lose him. Is there anything we can do?

He's been there since July - and DSHS have already said "no" to him being placed with you.

You can't even get visitation in this state - and specially not after an adoption. Your best bet is helping Mom with her case plan.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I missed the DHS saying no part. Definitely - focus on Mom getting her case plan worked, and get her a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to emphasize a very important point: You didn't even know about this for 6 months...how close can you be?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In addition to explaining how you didn't know this for six months (why didn't your daughter tell you), in what state do you live?

Antigone*

Is your daughter complying with he case plan? Has she given them any dirty drug tests?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">