• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help I need advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennyhobson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? this will have to do with Montana law
My daughter is in jail for a probation violation she gets out sometime on the 30th we hope this is in montana. My Daughter dad my EX husband the grandfather whom also lives in Montana has temp custody of my granddaughter . I live in Washington state and I am going to be in Billings on the 30th on my way down to Wyoming for my Mothers memorial service. My whole family will be I want to take my grandduaghter with me what are my rights?

I am the biological Grandmother.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? this will have to do with Montana law
My daughter is in jail for a probation violation she gets out sometime on the 30th we hope this is in montana. Her father whom also lives in Montana has temp custody of my granddaughter . I live in Washington state and I am going to be in Billings on the 30th on my way down to Wyoming for my Mothers memorial service. My whole family will be I want to take my grandduaghter with me what are my rights?
You don't have any inherent rights to the child. If dad says no, then it is no.

Proserpina

My daughter is in jail for a probation violation she gets out sometime on the 30th we hope this is in montana. Her father whom also lives in Montana has temp custody of my granddaughter . I live in Washington state and I am going to be in Billings on the 30th on my way down to Wyoming for my Mothers memorial service. My whole family will be I want to take my grandduaghter with me what are my rights?

You don't have any rights.

You can ask Dad if he's willing to let your granddaughter go to the service, but if he says no you're out of luck.

Proserpina

Even Though I am the Biological Grandmother

Even if.

Grandparents do not - in any state - have inherent rights to their grandchildren. Some states permit a grandparent to file for visitation, but this is not commonly granted.

It's entirely up to Dad at this point.

Proserpina

This is not my grand daughters father, it is her grandpa. my ex husband

Let me put this another way :)

The current legal custodian - whether it's the parent, the grandparent, the sister, aunt, brother, whatever - has ALL of the power here.

If the current custodian - your ex-husband - says "no", then it's "no".

You, yourself, have no rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">