• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, I need to know if this is legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrTwisted

I recently moved my family from NJ to PA a few months ago. My 17 year old son really missed his friends and wanted to spend the summer at his grand parents house working for them to make extra money and to be able to hang with his friends. Now my parents are going on vacation far away for several weeks while my wife and I are living in PA. They want him to live at their house by himself while they are gone to keep an eye on the place. Is this legal? Are there any legalities against my wife and I if we were to agree to this?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I recently moved my family from NJ to PA a few months ago. My 17 year old son really missed his friends and wanted to spend the summer at his grand parents house working for them to make extra money and to be able to hang with his friends. Now my parents are going on vacation far away for several weeks while my wife and I are living in PA. They want him to live at their house by himself while they are gone to keep an eye on the place. Is this legal? Are there any legalities against my wife and I if we were to agree to this?
a 17 YEAR OLD can stay home by himself if he is mature enough to handle the situation. You could be responsible IF your son throws a party, causes damage or something of that nature.

frylover

a 17 YEAR OLD can stay home by himself if he is mature enough to handle the situation. You could be responsible IF your son throws a party, causes damage or something of that nature.[/QUOTE]

OT, kinda, but I guess I was a really "weird" kid. My parents went to Hawaii for a week when I was 17 (just shy of 18). My best friend stayed with me. The most "exciting" and "dangerous" thing we did was eat too much crappy food!

davew128

a 17 YEAR OLD can stay home by himself if he is mature enough to handle the situation. You could be responsible IF your son throws a party, causes damage or something of that nature.
Umm, why? He's staying at the grandparents home, not theirs.

Antigone*

Perfectly legal but definitely not a smart idea. My parents left my 17-year old brother alone ~ massive party!!!!

Antigone*

My sister did likewise with her teenaged daughter and ended up with one of those parties where hordes of strangers show up and trash the house.
When I saw my parent's home the next day I was flabbergasted!!! Let's just say my little brother was in deep you know what.

I'd never leave my teen alone overnight.

When I saw my parent's home the next day I was flabbergasted!!! Let's just say my little brother was in deep you know what.

I'd never leave my teen alone overnight.
I must of been one boring teenager... I was left alone at 16 for two nights, and the most I did was stay up late, talk on the phone for hours, and contemplate sneaking a couple sips of liquor out of the cabinet. Oh, and went thru EVERYTHING of my parents out of sheer curiousity.

.... :eek: lets just say, I found things that to this day, make my eyeballs burn :eek:

Last edited:

txmom512

a 17 YEAR OLD can stay home by himself if he is mature enough to handle the situation. You could be responsible IF your son throws a party, causes damage or something of that nature.[/QUOTE]

OT, kinda, but I guess I was a really "weird" kid. My parents went to Hawaii for a week when I was 17 (just shy of 18). My best friend stayed with me. The most "exciting" and "dangerous" thing we did was eat too much crappy food!
Nah, you weren't weird. Just good. :)
My senior year, one of my best friends lived in his house by himself. His family moved up north & he wanted to finish out high school and graduate at his own school. So the put off selling their house & he lived there all senior year.

He was super-responsible and mature. He'd have friends over, we'd hang out there sometimes, but he never had parties or anything...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">