• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How To Prove it Was Only Temporary Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonpowell69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia- A few years ago, I had to give my mother temporary guardianship when I had to do a year in prison. I can't recall if I ever reinstated myself as my daughter's guardian. I just assumed it would terminate when I was released, as stated in the paper work we had drawn up. Well, now my daughter is receiving an inheritance check and my mother has told my daughter's attorneys that she is legal guardian so she could receive the check instead. Now,my daughter's attorneys are telling me that I have to prove my legal guardianship in order for me to receive the check for my daughter . My mother has illgotten intentions for this money and all I want to do is make sure my daughter's rights to her inheritance are respected. How can I prove my legalness after all these years of assuming this was already taken care of???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia- A few years ago, I had to give my mother temporary guardianship when I had to do a year in prison. I can't recall if I ever reinstated myself as my daughter's guardian. I just assumed it would terminate when I was released, as stated in the paper work we had drawn up. Well, now my daughter is receiving an inheritance check and my mother has told my daughter's attorneys that she is legal guardian so she could receive the check instead. Now,my daughter's attorneys are telling me that I have to prove my legal guardianship in order for me to receive the check for my daughter . My mother has illgotten intentions for this money and all I want to do is make sure my daughter's rights to her inheritance are respected. How can I prove my legalness after all these years of assuming this was already taken care of???
Why do either of you feel that you should "get the check"? It should be deposited directly in to some sort of trust account.

ETA: Post Hx is...interesting on this one.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh yes, read p/x. Seems the kid(s) here are only seen as cash cows...

So just HOW many years has Grandma been caring for your child? Have you been paying your Mom support? Where has child been living? What has your contact been? Why have you done nothing wrt this guardianship over "all these years"??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">