• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal rights of a Godmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Veronica1228

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

(In a whiny, nasal, voice) Welllllllll, she issssssss a whiny little bitch.

IAAL
You'll get no argument from me, my friend. ;)

Paridise, I don't remember what thread it is on, but just check IAAL's postings. You'll find it. It's from today.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Veronica1228 said:
You'll get no argument from me, my friend. ;)

Paridise, I don't remember what thread it is on, but just check IAAL's postings. You'll find it. It's from today.

My response:

So, you're telling Paridise to go picking through the garbage cans again?

IAAL

Veronica1228

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

So, you're telling Paridise to go picking through the garbage cans again?

IAAL
Paridise is not a garbage picker. In fact, she usually takes out the trash around here!!!

Shay-Pari'e

Veronica1228 said:
Paridise is not a garbage picker. In fact, she usually takes out the trash around here!!!
I think IAAL is just hitting on you V. I don't know about LA but it is 103 here, so he might be hot.

nextwife

titansfan said:
the maternal grandmother would get custody unless shes proven unfit, then another relative could try for custody.
Ummm, maternal grandmother has no greater legal right than paternal grandmother- or paternal grandfather or maternal grandfather. There is no "mom's mom automatically get's custody unless she's unfit"! The courts would decide based upon whomever has the established relationship and is best able to take care of the child (in theory).

Shay-Pari'e

nextwife said:
Ummm, maternal grandmother has no greater legal right than paternal grandmother- or paternal grandfather or maternal grandfather. There is no "mom's mom automatically get's custody unless she's unfit"! The courts would decide based upon whomever has the established relationship and is best able to take care of the child (in theory).
She was posting about a Godmother.

nextwife

titansfan said:
a godparent is a religious relationship, not a legal one. godparents have no legal rights.the maternal grandmother would get custody unless shes proven unfit, then another relative could try for custody.
The post states the presumption that MATERNAL Grandmother must be UNFIT BEFORE another family member has any potential custody rights. The original post, which ALSO erroneously presumes Godmother has ANY legal rights and this one incorrectly imply the MATERNAL Grandmother has greater rights than any other RELATIVE or grandparent. It may have been intended as being between Godmother and Grandmother, but the statement in the above post was that first MATERNAL grandmother must be UNFIT before another relative has potential custody rights. I was pointing out the maternal grandmother has no greater legal custodial rights than any other of the child's grandparents would.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

nextwife said:
The post states the presumption that MATERNAL Grandmother must be UNFIT BEFORE another family member has any potential custody rights. The original post, which ALSO erroneously presumes Godmother has ANY legal rights and this one incorrectly imply the MATERNAL Grandmother has greater rights than any other RELATIVE or grandparent. It may have been intended as being between Godmother and Grandmother, but the statement in the above post was that first MATERNAL grandmother must be UNFIT before another relative has potential custody rights. I was pointing out the maternal grandmother has no greater legal custodial rights than any other of the child's grandparents would.
Ahh, ok, I understand now.

momtimes2

abandoned child

so my question is? what is the difference between "grandmother" and Godmother" rights? a friend left her 13 year old daughter with me a month ago. then she called DEFACS on ME, they are now investigating her for deprivation? so can I get some type of gardianship for this child? The child is a wonderful, bright, and articulate little girl. but I am just a friend of the family. i was told by DEFACS that they would place her with a family member or foster home before they would allow "a friend" to have gardianship. could this be true? I dont think these people have given me the honest truth. can anyone give me some advice? I am the childs godmother. Please help HER...

Veronica1228

momtimes2 said:
so my question is? what is the difference between "grandmother" and Godmother" rights? a friend left her 13 year old daughter with me a month ago. then she called DEFACS on ME, they are now investigating her for deprivation? so can I get some type of gardianship for this child? The child is a wonderful, bright, and articulate little girl. but I am just a friend of the family. i was told by DEFACS that they would place her with a family member or foster home before they would allow "a friend" to have gardianship. could this be true? I dont think these people have given me the honest truth. can anyone give me some advice? I am the childs godmother. Please help HER...
Your question is a serious issue, and I know that this thread got somewhat off track, but you really need to start your own thread so that your situation can be given the full attention it deserves.

Thanks. :)

momtimes2

Godmother/momtimes2

she needs to register for school but my hands are tied. The mother has changed county of rsidence so DEFACS is moving the case to the mothers county

Veronica1228

momtimes2 said:
you said I should start my "own thread" how do I do that?
Click on the "Forum Jump" drop down menu and select "Child Custody and Visitation" under Family Law. Then click on the yellow "Post a New Message" button.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">