• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for an advice with situation with elderly parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fla2000

I need some advise on situation I've described below...
I moved to Florida 3 years ago to help my elderly mother who became a widow at that time with day to day things such as delivering food, driving her to doctors appointments twice week, taking her shopping helping with mail etc....
About a year ago I moved to a town 45 miles away. This made delivering food, driving her to doctors appointments twice week, taking her shopping helping with mail etc very difficult to say the least.
I want her be more self sufficient since she has financial means to pay for things I was doing for her before.
She is not very receptive to this. What I want to find out is there proper legal way of doing this, can I find myself in hot legal water? being charged with abandonment, neglect or even with elder abuse?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I need some advise on situation I've described below...
I moved to Florida 3 years ago to help my elderly mother who became a widow at that time with day to day things such as delivering food, driving her to doctors appointments twice week, taking her shopping helping with mail etc....
About a year ago I moved to a town 45 miles away. This made delivering food, driving her to doctors appointments twice week, taking her shopping helping with mail etc very difficult to say the least.
I want her be more self sufficient since she has financial means to pay for things I was doing for her before.
She is not very receptive to this. What I want to find out is there proper legal way of doing this, can I find myself in hot legal water? being charged with abandonment or even with elder abuse?
Is your mother truly unable to do these things for herself, or is she just used to being taken care of? Why did you opt to move far enough away to make it difficult to help her?

If she is truly unable to do these things for herself, a part time home aide/caregiver would be an option, but some monitoring would be in order in that scenario. Assisted living would also be another option.

Fla2000

Is your mother truly unable to do these things for herself, or is she just used to being taken care of? Why did you opt to move far enough away to make it difficult to help her?

If she is truly unable to do these things for herself, a part time home aide/caregiver would be an option, but some monitoring would be in order in that scenario. Assisted living would also be another option.

Well..... I hired part time home aid for her.... as far as assisted living she wound't even consider it, she has financial means to pay for delivery of groceries, food, driving to doctors, driving to hair salon, stores ....

If I reduce level of assistance to her , can I be charged with neglect, abandonment ???

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Call the state agency for adult abuse and explain you were performing services which you can no longer perform and that they need to take over the oversight of her care because you no longer will. Make sure to contact at least one supervisor and make the same report. Provide all of her info so they can find her. They will appoint a case manager. Then stop doing things for her at all. When she calls refer her to them.

Fla2000

Call the state agency for adult abuse and explain you were performing services which you can no longer perform and that they need to take over the oversight of her care because you no longer will. Make sure to contact at least one supervisor and make the same report. Provide all of her info so they can find her. They will appoint a case manager. Then stop doing things for her at all. When she calls refer her to them.
Thank to the advice, this does make sense

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">