• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Majority of Age and Legal Guardianship under Social Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megancissell13

My post didn't work. Here it is

I am a female and I am currently 17 years old and I live in the state of Missouri. When I was around 13, my grandparents got legal guardianship over me through social services because my mom wasn't able to take care of me. When I first moved in, i had a social worker who came over frequently but i dont have that anymore. I turn 18 on January 1st and I am wanting to move out on that day. I was going to do it secretly because I knew if my grandparents found out, they would get very upset with me. Well they found out and now they are telling me that whether I am 18 or not, it's up to the court and social services to decide whether I'm able to move out or not... Am I able to move out the day that I turn 18 and if I do attempt this, will they be able to try to come and get me and force me back home?

Proserpina

I am a female and I am currently 17 years old and I live in the state of Missouri. When I was around 13, my grandparents got legal guardianship over me through social services because my mom wasn't able to take care of me. When I first moved in, i had a social worker who came over frequently but i dont have that anymore. I turn 18 on January 1st and I am wanting to move out on that day. I was going to do it secretly because I knew if my grandparents found out, they would get very upset with me. Well they found out and now they are telling me that whether I am 18 or not, it's up to the court and social services to decide whether I'm able to move out or not... Am I able to move out the day that I turn 18 and if I do attempt this, will they be able to try to come and get me and force me back home?
Unless you are somehow otherwise mentally incompetent, you can leave at 12:01 am on the morning of your 18th birthday and never return.

That's it!

Silverplum

Not after you turn 18. http://www.mobar.org/uploadedFiles/Home/Publications/Legal_Resources/Brochures_and_Booklets/Family_Law_Conference/Juveniles%20and%20the%20Law.pdf

Good luck. :)

single317dad

To add to the above advice, your grandparents' guardianship terminates when you turn 18, and if they also held conservatorship of your estate as well as guardianship of your person (not common), they must file a final accounting of administration with the court at that time.

Indiana Filer

Is your placement still under the jurisdiction of social services? You may qualify for Collaborative Care as a person who aged out of the system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">