• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Grandchildren have unfit parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Italian Nonni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My 25 yr old son is married with two children (Boy 5 yrs in 2 weeks, girl 3 yrs) to his wife, and a third child(4 month old girl) to his now ex-girlfriend, who had been living with him & his family. All parties had consented to this secret arrangement that had been going on for nearly 2 yr's.

My son has a history of mental illness and I catch his wife in lies often. They have always kept their apt's & children in a very unsanitary condition. The children are very neglected in spite of having many things provided for them from both sets of grandparents.
Currently my son & his family are living with a friend since they became homeless once again for the second time in 11 months. Last yr we took our two grandchildren children in for 3 1/2 months. This time for 2 1/2 months.
We are very close with our grandchildren, & have provided them with their own beds and room filled with toys, good clothing, full bellies and tons of TLC and a safe secure place to be.

The girlfriend said she was moving back to her home town which was many hrs away. I invited her and my grandchild to visit. She was to stay over night. She is still here. Her family won't come for her because some of her bags of clothing are in storage with my sons items. We are helping her get medical assistance, drivers license etc in place before she tries to return back to her home town in a couple months. My granddaughter was wearing rags as diapers with tape for three months. But my son provide's diapers for his other daughter.

We couldn't turn our 4 month old grandchild away, but that decision is costing us our other grandchildren. We aren't allowed to see them. My son seems to be more irrational and paranoid since he has lost control of his girlfriend.

Children & youth had been called on them twice in the last yr in two diff. counties. I did not call. But that is when we took the kids for months the first time.

We don't want to raise little ones again. But we see the damage that is happening & feel we may need to step in. I don't know if we have a leg to stand on. What can we do to protect our grandchildren from continued neglect? :confused:

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My 25 yr old son is married with two children (Boy 5 yrs in 2 weeks, girl 3 yrs) to his wife, and a third child(4 month old girl) to his now ex-girlfriend, who had been living with him & his family. All parties had consented to this secret arrangement that had been going on for nearly 2 yr's.

My son has a history of mental illness and I catch his wife in lies often. They have always kept their apt's & children in a very unsanitary condition. The children are very neglected in spite of having many things provided by them from both sets of grandparents.
Currently my son & his family are living with a friend since they became homeless once again for the second time in 11 months. Last yr we took our two grandchildren children in for 3 1/2 months. This time for 2 1/2 months.
We are very close with our grandchildren, & have provided them with their own beds and room filled with toys, good clothing, full bellies and tons of TLC and a safe secure place to be.

The girlfriend said she was moving back to her home town which was many hrs away. I invited her and my grandchild to visit. She was to stay over night. She is still here. Her family won't come for her because some of her bags of clothing are in storage with my sons items. We are helping her get medical assistance, drivers license etc in place before she tries to return back to her home town in a couple months. My granddaughter was wearing rags as diapers with tape for three months. But my son provide's diapers for his other daughter.

We couldn't turn our 4 month old grandchild away, but that decision is costing us our other grandchildren. We aren't allowed to see them. My son seems to be more irrational and paranoid since he has lost control of his girlfriend.

Children & youth had been called on them twice in the last yr in two diff. counties. I did not call. But that is when we took the kids for months the first time.

We don't want to raise little ones again. But we see the damage that is happening & feel we may need to step in. I don't know if we have a leg to stand on. What can we do to protect our grandchildren from continued neglect? :confused:
If you see the children being abused or neglected, call the authorities. They will decide how fit or unfit the parents are.

mistoffolees

I don't see any evidence of neglect. Do the kids have a roof over their heads? Food to eat? Clothes to wear?

Children's services has been called twice in the past year. What did they find? It sounds as if they found nothing that made the parents unfit, although your post isn't clear.

If there's real danger, then call CPS. If not, then stay out of it - unless you want to find yourself permanently barred from seeing your grandchildren.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">