• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband and I want our son to be raised by his Godparents if something happens.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XandersMom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi

How do we gaurantee that he does not end up with either set of our parents? We both grew up in abusive homes, mine being severely abused, physically, verbally, and neglected. My husband was verbally abused and neglected as well.

While I have tried to make peace with my family it is tenuous at best. His parents do not contact us at all even though they do have all of our contact information. When we try to get in touch with them, they barely answer the phone. They knew about the pregnancy only because they ran into a mutual friend in Wal-Mart ( that we had to arrange ) after countless calls went unanswered.

I know it sounds like we went over board, but we felt they should know. We also hoped it would bring about a reconcilliation of sorts, we wanted to try and mend the rift between them.

It did sort of work for awhile. They would answer when I called up until the 4th month of my pregnancy then nothing.

When he was born we tried again to contact them, but it took 6 months before they would answer the phone and that is because we made a trip to Georgia where they live ( we live in Mississippi ) and used my friends phone and they did not recognize the number. We were there for a week, but they did not have time to come and see their only grandchild.

The same thing again when he was in the hospital for 3 weeks with pneumonia. He will be 2 in Sept and they have not seen him yet and will not answer our calls. We have been to Georgia several times since, everytime calling to try and let them know with no luck with them answering, or when they do answer they say they do not have time to see him. We call once a month to try and give them updates. I will not have them tell our son later in life that we restricted them from seeing them. I leave messages about how he is and that they are welcome to call but so far no luck. My husband will not even call them anymore.

We do not want these people raising our child with their kind of logic and screwed up ethics, nor do we want my mother or my aunt and uncle getting their hands on him either. I suffered enough at their hands growing up and I do not ever want my son to have to worry about the sound of a belt swishing through the air behind him only to wrap around his neck or waist like a whip, leaving bruises, or if it was a switch, cuts on his legs and back.

I will not lie, this Grandparents Law has me very worried right now. I want my child to be safe and protected. His Godparents are very loving people with two beautiful little girls who adore our son. They are a strong family unit, with alot of the same beliefs and intrests we have. Not to mention stong morals and values, that is what we want for him if God takes us and we can no longer provide it for him. They have none of the abusive traits that our combined parents have.

What can we do to ensure the future we want for our son in the event we are no longer here or otherwise able? I mean a solid, unbreakable, no loop holes custody arrangement to be put into affect immediately in the event of an unfortunante circumstance or the incapacity to care for our son ourselves.

Thank you, Dawn

LdiJ

XandersMom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi

How do we gaurantee that he does not end up with either set of our parents? We both grew up in abusive homes, mine being severely abused, physically, verbally, and neglected. My husband was verbally abused and neglected as well.

While I have tried to make peace with my family it is tenuous at best. His parents do not contact us at all even though they do have all of our contact information. When we try to get in touch with them, they barely answer the phone. They knew about the pregnancy only because they ran into a mutual friend in Wal-Mart ( that we had to arrange ) after countless calls went unanswered.

I know it sounds like we went over board, but we felt they should know. We also hoped it would bring about a reconcilliation of sorts, we wanted to try and mend the rift between them.

It did sort of work for awhile. They would answer when I called up until the 4th month of my pregnancy then nothing.

When he was born we tried again to contact them, but it took 6 months before they would answer the phone and that is because we made a trip to Georgia where they live ( we live in Mississippi ) and used my friends phone and they did not recognize the number. We were there for a week, but they did not have time to come and see their only grandchild.

The same thing again when he was in the hospital for 3 weeks with pneumonia. He will be 2 in Sept and they have not seen him yet and will not answer our calls. We have been to Georgia several times since, everytime calling to try and let them know with no luck with them answering, or when they do answer they say they do not have time to see him. We call once a month to try and give them updates. I will not have them tell our son later in life that we restricted them from seeing them. I leave messages about how he is and that they are welcome to call but so far no luck. My husband will not even call them anymore.

We do not want these people raising our child with their kind of logic and screwed up ethics, nor do we want my mother or my aunt and uncle getting their hands on him either. I suffered enough at their hands growing up and I do not ever want my son to have to worry about the sound of a belt swishing through the air behind him only to wrap around his neck or waist like a whip, leaving bruises, or if it was a switch, cuts on his legs and back.

I will not lie, this Grandparents Law has me very worried right now. I want my child to be safe and protected. His Godparents are very loving people with two beautiful little girls who adore our son. They are a strong family unit, with alot of the same beliefs and intrests we have. Not to mention stong morals and values, that is what we want for him if God takes us and we can no longer provide it for him. They have none of the abusive traits that our combined parents have.

What can we do to ensure the future we want for our son in the event we are no longer here or otherwise able? I mean a solid, unbreakable, no loop holes custody arrangement to be put into affect immediately in the event of an unfortunante circumstance or the incapacity to care for our son ourselves.

Thank you, Dawn
You are going to need to talk to an attorney. I honestly don't believe that there is any way to 100% guarantee that either of your families could not recieve custody. However if there is...a local attorney is the best person to give you answers.

One thing that probably would help, is if you left properly executed affidavits attached to your wills, outlining the abuse that you suffered as children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">