• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help with rights for my 17 year old gf

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timmymayer

i live in indiana and i am dating a 17 year old girl tht i been with for almost a year..we lived in michigan before but had to move here with her other grandparents..so i followed..well now her grandparents here put a nno contact order out on us and said we cant see or talk to each other..i really need a way passed this..me and this girl are inlove and dont wanna lose eachother..and she also does not wanna live with her grand parents cuz her and her grandma dont get along..well its not really her grandma its just the women er real grandpa is dating..and she put bruises on my gf and chocked her..the grandpa isnt never around he works alot and is not trying to hear here my gf feels..wut can i do if anything..im willing to do wut ever it takes

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
i live in indiana and i am dating a 17 year old girl tht i been with for almost a year..we lived in michigan before but had to move here with her other grandparents..so i followed..well now her grandparents here put a nno contact order out on us and said we cant see or talk to each other..i really need a way passed this..me and this girl are inlove and dont wanna lose eachother..and she also does not wanna live with her grand parents cuz her and her grandma dont get along..well its not really her grandma its just the women er real grandpa is dating..and she put bruises on my gf and chocked her..the grandpa isnt never around he works alot and is not trying to hear hoe my gf feels..wut can i do if anything..im willing to do wut ever it takes
Wah. Too bad. If Granny and Grandpa want you to leave their minor granddaughter alone, you'd better leave her alone. Or face the consequences. :cool:

If you are so in luuurrrrve, it will wait until she is old enough to make those decisions.

dannyt

i live in indiana and i am dating a 17 year old girl tht i been with for almost a year..we lived in michigan before but had to move here with her other grandparents..so i followed..well now her grandparents here put a nno contact order out on us and said we cant see or talk to each other..i really need a way passed this..me and this girl are inlove and dont wanna lose eachother..and she also does not wanna live with her grand parents cuz her and her grandma dont get along..well its not really her grandma its just the women er real grandpa is dating..and she put bruises on my gf and chocked her..the grandpa isnt never around he works alot and is not trying to hear here my gf feels..wut can i do if anything..im willing to do wut ever it takes
there is no way past this-you are really asking for trouble here. leave it alone. theres nothing you can do. and your gf doesnt decide who she lives with untill shes 18. no judge is going to place her in the custody of her bf.

Antigone*

You can wait until she is an adult.

coo19

Personally I believe it depends on several factors and my first question before passing judgement on you or the situation is how old are you? No she isn't legal but fact is if you are only a couple years apart in age I don't see a problem with the 2 of you being together. Now as to the main matter, there is not much you can do but she has a few options. If step-granny is abusive towards her she can report her to CPS, call the police or even run away to a safe place shelter. SHE CAN NOT RUN AWAY TO YOU! There are many places deemed to be safe place shelters and all of them have a sign posted. There is a legal way to handle this and being she is 17 years old, if they found she was being abused or in a home where there was evidence of neglect a judge could easily decide she is old enough to not have a foster family or be in the custody of any adult. Basically they would say she is an adult and give her the same rights we all get when we turn 18. If she was granted that then she could do what she wants and no one, including you could stop her. The judge is not just going judge this based on her words, the judge will look at the girls history to see how responsible she is, if she has a juvenile record or history of problems with other adults (ie her parents, teachers, other grandparents and so on) If she has a good record, stayed in school or did well in school, has worked, not been in trouble with the laws and has no history of problems with authority she stands a chance but will have to prove her case. If you are dating a 17 yr old girl who acts like she's 14 and defy's authority, is self destructive, doesn't work and/or has not attended or completed school and so on then fact is she is childish and probably needs a good butt kicking like step granny is giving her in order to make her grow up and act like a responsible adult and if you are a responsible adult that loves this girl you will do whats best for her no matter how much it hurts you and no matter how much she hates you for it. Sometimes you have to give tough love when you want the best for the people you love and if that's what she needs then stop being selfish just cause you want her with you and make her face facts and when she is 18 maybe you'll find she's a better person for it. If you feel she truly is being abused and can win a fight in court to gain her "freedom" so to speak then tell her to get the right authorities involved and handle this legally that way no one can throw you in jail for being involved with a minor. All her grandparents have to do is file charges on you and it's over buddy so be careful, she's not in charge they are at least until her birthday. Don't do anything stupid for your own sake and if you love her think about what's best for her even if it's not what you want right now.

Antigone*

Personally I believe it depends on several factors and my first question before passing judgement on you or the situation is how old are you? No she isn't legal but fact is if you are only a couple years apart in age I don't see a problem with the 2 of you being together. Now as to the main matter, there is not much you can do but she has a few options. If step-granny is abusive towards her she can report her to CPS, call the police or even run away to a safe place shelter. SHE CAN NOT RUN AWAY TO YOU! There are many places deemed to be safe place shelters and all of them have a sign posted. There is a legal way to handle this and being she is 17 years old, if they found she was being abused or in a home where there was evidence of neglect a judge could easily decide she is old enough to not have a foster family or be in the custody of any adult. Basically they would say she is an adult and give her the same rights we all get when we turn 18. If she was granted that then she could do what she wants and no one, including you could stop her. The judge is not just going judge this based on her words, the judge will look at the girls history to see how responsible she is, if she has a juvenile record or history of problems with other adults (ie her parents, teachers, other grandparents and so on) If she has a good record, stayed in school or did well in school, has worked, not been in trouble with the laws and has no history of problems with authority she stands a chance but will have to prove her case. If you are dating a 17 yr old girl who acts like she's 14 and defy's authority, is self destructive, doesn't work and/or has not attended or completed school and so on then fact is she is childish and probably needs a good butt kicking like step granny is giving her in order to make her grow up and act like a responsible adult and if you are a responsible adult that loves this girl you will do whats best for her no matter how much it hurts you and no matter how much she hates you for it. Sometimes you have to give tough love when you want the best for the people you love and if that's what she needs then stop being selfish just cause you want her with you and make her face facts and when she is 18 maybe you'll find she's a better person for it. If you feel she truly is being abused and can win a fight in court to gain her "freedom" so to speak then tell her to get the right authorities involved and handle this legally that way no one can throw you in jail for being involved with a minor. All her grandparents have to do is file charges on you and it's over buddy so be careful, she's not in charge they are at least until her birthday. Don't do anything stupid for your own sake and if you love her think about what's best for her even if it's not what you want right now.
Personally, you are wrong. It depends on only one matter. Her guardians tell him to keep away. Legally he must or face whatever consequences come his way:cool:

coo19

Personally, you are wrong. It depends on only one matter. Her guardians tell him to keep away. Legally he must or face whatever consequences come his way:cool:
Antigone,

I think you need to do some research on the laws because minors have rights to even if you don't like it. I seriously doubt you want to get in an online debate with me on facts because I check everything.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

ecmst12

Minors do indeed have rights. However, one of them is NOT to date adults when their legal guardians forbid it.

Proserpina

Antigone,

I think you need to do some research on the laws because minors have rights to even if you don't like it. I seriously doubt you want to get in an online debate with me on facts because I check everything.

And what rights would they be? pertaining to this situation?

Isis1

Minors do indeed have rights. However, one of them is NOT to date adults when their legal guardians forbid it.
ditto this!

the g/f's rights do NOT co-mingle with her twinkie boyfriend.

she has the option of speaking with her school counselor. she has the option of filing a police report. she has the option of calling social services.

none of those options include the twinkie boyfriend.

the twinkie boyfriend has the option to wait til the child is actually an adult (that's 18 years of age) to be fully wrapped up in "rights" as a couple.

Just Blue

Antigone,

I think you need to do some research on the laws because minors have rights to even if you don't like it. I seriously doubt you want to get in an online debate with me on facts because I check everything. !
Please. Post the case law or INDIANA STATE CRIMINAL law or CIVIL law Statutes that back up you post. If you have "checked everything" then I am sure you will be able to support your postings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">