• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nerviouswreck needs help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nerviouswreck

I am trying to find out if possible, how to r where to start, if one is considering taking an infant away from its Mother. The infant is my only grandchild. Her mother during pregancy abused prescription drugs. In return, baby had to remain in hospital for 2 weeks to be wined off with methodone.
She is still continuing to take pres. drugs. My son, her husband ,is battling the same addition. He has admited his problems and ask for help. She will not admit her addition. She has 2 children prior to their marriage which has been raised in this situation. I do not want my grand child raised in this home if they continue with their addition. Is there any info on what I could do? I would appreciate it very much. They both are driving me insane!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I am trying to find out if possible, how to r where to start, if one is considering taking an infant away from its Mother. The infant is my only grandchild. Her mother during pregancy abused prescription drugs. In return, baby had to remain in hospital for 2 weeks to be wined off with methodone.
She is still continuing to take pres. drugs. My son, her husband ,is battling the same addition. He has admited his problems and ask for help. She will not admit her addition. She has 2 children prior to their marriage which has been raised in this situation. I do not want my grand child raised in this home if they continue with their addition. Is there any info on what I could do? I would appreciate it very much. They both are driving me insane!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

So have child protective services been involved?

What happened with that?

And which US state - it REALLY matters.

mistoffolees

So have child protective services been involved?

What happened with that?

And which US state - it REALLY matters.
Yes, but even in the most grandparent friendly state, it's going to be a big uphill battle. The parents are an intact family. Unless there's a finding that the parents are both legally unfit, it will be extremely difficult in some states and impossible in the rest.

Hot Topic

Why would your grandchild be better off with you? Not being addicted to drugs doesn't automatically mean that you're fit emotionally and physically to raise a child.

The fact that you said the parents are driving YOU insane tells me a lot.

sheilah9398

Nerviouswreck needs help

My family just went through a very similar situation in NC. The case was dragged before judge after judge for months..the baby was 16 months when removed from the home and is now 3 1/2 and the adoption process is being filed today. It can be an exhausting battle but well worth it if you feel the child is in danger or being mistreated.

CSO286

My family just went through a very similar situation in NC. The case was dragged before judge after judge for months..the baby was 16 months when removed from the home and is now 3 1/2 and the adoption process is being filed today. It can be an exhausting battle but well worth it if you feel the child is in danger or being mistreated.
It should take some time. Terminating parental rights of an intact family shouldn't be something done in a month or two. Parents should be given every possible opportunity to clean up their lives and get right before having their constitutional right to parent taken from them.

(Disclaimer--except in cases of gross and obvious abuse/harm.)

sheilah9398

nervouswreck

I have another situation with the same couple..my son & his wife. They have been separated since Nov of 2010 and he has been living back at home. She both physically and mentally abused him; even going to far as stabbing him with a steak knife. This last incident happened before my granddaughter was removed from the home. They are both addicted to drugs and refuse to try to get off of them. She is bipolar and will not take her medication for the disorder. Now she is pregnant again(11 weeks) and is not sure who the father is since she has been with several men in the past several months including my son. While the first case was in court she was almost a constant 'no-show'. She would not show for appts. to see her baby at social services nor court. What are we supposed to do now if this one is his too? The procedure to determine paternity prior to birth is very expensive and quite dangerous for both mother and child. We will not endanger either of them so it will wait until after the birth. I am planning to file for custody of this baby too if these two don't get it together between now and then. My son will have to make a choice soon on whether he loves the drugs more than his children. If he chooses the drugs he will have to get out of my house. I don't want to be the one to find him after overdosing on pills or powder.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I have another situation with the same couple..my son & his wife. They have been separated since Nov of 2010 and he has been living back at home. She both physically and mentally abused him; even going to far as stabbing him with a steak knife. This last incident happened before my granddaughter was removed from the home. They are both addicted to drugs and refuse to try to get off of them. She is bipolar and will not take her medication for the disorder. Now she is pregnant again(11 weeks) and is not sure who the father is since she has been with several men in the past several months including my son. While the first case was in court she was almost a constant 'no-show'. She would not show for appts. to see her baby at social services nor court. What are we supposed to do now if this one is his too? The procedure to determine paternity prior to birth is very expensive and quite dangerous for both mother and child. We will not endanger either of them so it will wait until after the birth. I am planning to file for custody of this baby too if these two don't get it together between now and then. My son will have to make a choice soon on whether he loves the drugs more than his children. If he chooses the drugs he will have to get out of my house. I don't want to be the one to find him after overdosing on pills or powder.
If you have a problem, please start your own post. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">