• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odds of grandmother getting visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jandglo247

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My mother and I have had a very strained relationship all of my life. She is very controlling and is not happy with me when I do not perform to her liking, usually when it comes to my husband or my children.

I am 35 years old and I have two children ages 12 and 7 with my ex husband which she has a relationship with. She is a great grandmother and has always been there for me and the children when we needed it. She has never had to financially support me but she has helped out at certain times during divorce, ect.

I have been remarried for 3 years now to a wonderful man who loves me and my children but my mother doesnt like him. She never liked my ex husband either, she's not fond of many people, very judgemental and opinionated.

Well we are expecting a baby in July and when I told her that I was pregnant she decided to not approve of it and not talk to me. She says we are being selfish to have another baby. She recently told me in an email that she hopes that I will not keep her two grandchildren from her because of this. I told her we were a family, accept all of us or none of us. I dont think it would be fair to my two or this new baby. What are the chances of her getting visitation for the two of them if she takes me to court? Especially when their father already has visitation 7 weeks of summer, spring break every other Christmas holiday. She lives 4 hours away in another state.

I am very torn, I dont really want to keep the kids from her. I really just want her to accept me and my life and I want her to want to be a grandmother to my unborn child. My kids love her very much, she has spoiled them with gifts and such. Just want to know what my odds are if it truly came to this.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My mother and I have had a very strained relationship all of my life. She is very controlling and is not happy with me when I do not perform to her liking, usually when it comes to my husband or my children.

I am 35 years old and I have two children ages 12 and 7 with my ex husband which she has a relationship with. She is a great grandmother and has always been there for me and the children when we needed it. She has never had to financially support me but she has helped out at certain times during divorce, ect.

I have been remarried for 3 years now to a wonderful man who loves me and my children but my mother doesnt like him. She never liked my ex husband either, she's not fond of many people, very judgemental and opinionated.

Well we are expecting a baby in July and when I told her that I was pregnant she decided to not approve of it and not talk to me. She says we are being selfish to have another baby. She recently told me in an email that she hopes that I will not keep her two grandchildren from her because of this. I told her we were a family, accept all of us or none of us. I dont think it would be fair to my two or this new baby. What are the chances of her getting visitation for the two of them if she takes me to court? Especially when their father already has visitation 7 weeks of summer, spring break every other Christmas holiday. She lives 4 hours away in another state.

I am very torn, I dont really want to keep the kids from her. I really just want her to accept me and my life and I want her to want to be a grandmother to my unborn child. My kids love her very much, she has spoiled them with gifts and such. Just want to know what my odds are if it truly came to this.

I haven't looked at the statutory requirements for your state to see if grandparents even have standing to sue - but I can say that if your ex-husband already has visitation, she'll generally be required to see the kids during HIS time.

It's highly unusual for a grandparent to be awarded visitation when the other parent already has visitation him/herself.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I haven't looked at the statutory requirements for your state to see if grandparents even have standing to sue - but I can say that if your ex-husband already has visitation, she'll generally be required to see the kids during HIS time.

It's highly unusual for a grandparent to be awarded visitation when the other parent already has visitation him/herself.
It's OP's mother, not Dad's. :cool:

ecmst12

I wouldn't worry too much yet, and hope that once she sees the baby she will come to her senses...

tuffbrk

You witnessed your son thrown your grandson and you didn't call CPS? He physically and verbally abused his pregnant girlfriend and you thought the best course of action was for you to "hide" her?

The best thing that could happen for your grandchildren is to become wards of the state and be far away from you and your son. You sicken me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">