• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent in prison/Grandparent needs custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smithdp1

Hello, I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have a 28 year old daughter that is doing time at AZDOC for a DUI. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl after her first few months of her sentence and the baby was given to me to take care of until she gets released.

In order for me to take the baby to her for visitation I need to get legal temporary custody of the baby. How do I do this(self help because of new budget)?

Thank you!

Proserpina

Hello, I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have a 28 year old daughter that is doing time at AZDOC for a DUI. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl after her first few months of her sentence and the baby was given to me to take care of until she gets released.

In order for me to take the baby to her for visitation I need to get legal temporary custody of the baby. How do I do this(self help because of new budget)?

Thank you!

How long is she going to be incarcerated?

Where is the other parent?

smithdp1

She received 18 months and she has currently completed 5 months.

The other parent is unknown.

Thank you for your help!

mistoffolees

She received 18 months and she has currently completed 5 months.

The other parent is unknown.

Thank you for your help!
Why do you need custody to take the child for visitation? Is power of attorney or temporary guardianship sufficient?

Once you know the answer to that question, you'll start with your county's self-help program. Here's the one for Maricopa County, search for yours if this isn't the right county:
SSC: Family Court Forms

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">