• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents facing Jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMR1231

What is the name of your state (Connecticut)?

Both parents of my 3 young nieces are currently facing jail time, and up until yesterday the plan was for my mother to take care of the children if/when that happens. Yesterday their mother informed my mother that the children would be going to her male cousin, who does not have custody of his own four children, is currently living on their couch and does not have a job.

We are unsure why this decision was made, but my mother has already been cleared by DCF to have the children in the case of an emergency like this. My mother called the social worker this morning to find out what she can do about this and they told her, there is nothing she can do. They told her that the children will go to who ever the parents appoint as guardian. My nieces are ages 3 (next month), 2 (today) and 2 weeks old and have never had a very stable environment.

Where else can we go for help to make sure that the kids go to my mother and have the care that is necessary for 3 little girls.

LillianX

Nowhere. The parents have the right to decide who cares for the children. As long as the children aren't being neglected or abused, there's nothing your parents can do. This means that they're not going to be able to do anything before their guardian takes over.

As for what they can do to make sure the kids have the care necessary: They can be supportive of the childrens' guardian, and of the children, who are, no doubt, about to have their lives thrown into turmoil at the absence of their parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">