• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternal Grandparents Cut off from Visits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdchargers13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My son and his girlfriend are living together and have one child, 2 1/2 yrs. old. We have had visitations with our grandchild at our home every other weekend for some time, but now find ourselves totally excluded from any type of contact with him because my son is simply angry that he is not permitted in our home due to drug use, destruction of our property, and overall mistreatment of both myself and my husband. Even though he has not been allowed in our home for many months, our grandson's mother has made it a point to bring him to our home for every-other-weekend visits so that we can maintain a healthy relationship with him. Now, since my son has decided to immediately stop that contact we are at a loss as to what we can do, and what our rights as grandparents are here in California. We adore this child, and it breaks our hearts to not be able to see him.

T

titansfan

you have no rights

you have no rights, im sorry. your son the child father and his gf the child's mother, have the right to decide who can and cant see the child. either make nice with your son, or forget about seeing your grandchild. if you try to file for visitation and lose, you will probaly never see him again.

sdchargers13

Paternal Grandparents Cut Off From Visits

California:

Well, it's a shame. Since "making nice" with my son would again open the door to all of the ____ that goes with drug abuse, this is not an option. I'm not only saddened, but more than a little surprised that there are no remedies for situations such as ours. The mother has always made the decisions regarding visitation, and has always counted on my husband and myself for support when dealing with our son. It appears that our society does not, in reality, take a positive stand when it comes to the greater good of the child. Our visits with our grandson benefitted him as much as it did us, and now that has been taken away. What a world we live in.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If the child is neglected or abused, you can report it.

However, neither parent is under any obligation to provide you with access to the child. The law gives them the discretion to decide who their child is allowed to associate with - and that includes barring contact with other family members.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">